Why am I so tired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why am I so tired?

I have had ms since I was 19 years old. I'm now 33. I take copaxone but I am still always tired. is there something else I can do besides medicine so I'm not so tired? I drink loads of caffeine. So that isn't going to work adding more lol

Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms those with MS deal with.

Non-medication options are:

- Occupational Therapy to help simplify the way you do things at work and home
    - Physical Therapy and/or exercise
    - Relaxation and stress reduction
    - If heat intolerant --- avoid heat

Medications that are used in the treatment of MS fatigue:
    - Provigil
    - Nuvigil
    - Amantadine (anti-viral)
    - Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) medications such as Ritalin, Adderall, ect.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi ajbutterflygirl and welcome to MSWorld! Snoopy gave you good suggestions. A lot of us also have sleep disturbances, which can add to the fatigue factor. If you feel that sleep (or lack of) contributes to your fatigue, you might want to inquire about having a sleep study done. Depression, which is also common with MS, can lead to fatigue.

Here's what the NMSS has to say about fatigue http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...mptoms/Fatigue

I take copaxone but I am still always tired.
      Copaxone is not designed to help combat fatigue.

I hope you can find ways to reduce your level of fatigue. You are certainly not alone with this problem!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld Butterfly girl. I'm so sorry you have been bit by the fatigue bug. I had a bout of it today and about the only thing I have found that helps me is rest.

As an accomadation at work I don't have to be at work until 10:30 rather than 9:00. But today I came in at 12:30. I needed the extra rest. It extra time helped a bit but I could have used more time. I just didn't want to abuse my privlige.

I very fortunate because the owner of the business has said whatever Bill needs he gets. So get some rest. I already take enough medication I certainly don't want to add to the stack.

Good luck to you and I hope you find what works for you.
        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
        Babe Ruth

Comment

welcome!

glad you're here! sorry that the MonSter brought you though.
          fatigue is one of my most frustrating symptoms. it's invisible and some people have even said that i'm lazy, that I use my MS as an excuse. really hurts, but those who know and love me know better.

I pray you have understanding friends and family.
          thankfully i'm on disability, I take a 2 hour nap mid afternoon. I wouldn't be worth a thing if I didn't!

Pacing yourself is always important. think of it like you have only so much gas to drive with each day. you won't be able to get anymore until the next day.
          so you prioritize what's most important that day, do it, rest, next important thing, rest, etc.
          it's hard to do. many times I feel great in the morning and I work out with weights, do yoga, wash dishes and boom! crash rest of the day.

tons of coffee will never touch it. matter of fact my dxing neuro, Samuel Hunter, told me to drink 2 liters of water a day. it really does make a difference (your bladder gets used to it in a few days )

some supplements like B-12 and other B vitamins help. I have found that quality resveratrol helped me.

eating right, getting some exercise in and sleeping 8 hrs (I know, i'm a comedian! ) always help.

praying that you have more energy soon!

let us know how you're doing.
          you can also look up other posts that might help by typing ' fatigue' in the search box at the top right of the message board screen.

take care & God bless ya!
          "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Working...
          X