what color is your sanctuary room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what color is your sanctuary room?

Hi. I'm trying to create a peaceful quiet placed. Life is too sensory and it rattles me and messes with me cognitively, emotionally. I need a place to meditate, sit, do my prescribed therapy stretches (hip issues and shortened pelvic floor muscles - from stress I'm sure!)

Articles say blue but I hate blue. Do you have a room that instantly quiets your mind or at least helps to get that serenity started? There are paints called tranquility but they're not tranquil to me.

If you've been to a meditation retreat do you remember the walls? If it was the right color probably not.

Neutrals seem too blinding. Taupe might create a sharp constrast to the ceiling and molding creating a blaring effect? God I sound like a spoiled brat. First world problems - yet it is what it is. I need some peace somewhere. A halcyon room.

Also I have bipolar so energizing wouldn't be an option for that reason too. And I have the right meds. But can't shuffle through life while being a caretaker. Maybe later though ahhh....

Thank you

If you have the brand and paint name that would be great I could look it up.

My living room is painted mostly in a light green: Green Wave, color #681, Benjamin Moore. Wallpaper border, around the top of the room is mostly navy, with some florals in pink, burgundy, a pale yellow and some neutrals and green leaves. There are some painted stripes on one bottom half-wall in those beiges: Hillsborough Beige 1033 and Carrington Beige HC-92.

Oak floor, door and window trim and baseboard. Brick (gas) fireplace.

Old, navy-colored trunk in one corner. Antique mirror with bevelled glass that I found at a garage sale for $5. A large print of 3 barefoot girls on a farm on one wall. A quilted wall hanging made by my MIL in colors and a floral design especially to coordinate with the wallpaper border. Navy window coverings (roman shades and valances) made by my daughter. A few other things custom made by local people. A bookshelf in one corner with a few favorite books on each shelf, and decorated with knick-knack "finds", mostly from a local thrift store. Furnishings and things on the wall, although mostly used and not expensive, have colors that coordinate with the walls.

I spend a lot of time there; I'm no longer employed and am self-declared a Netflix addict. Several people, in recent months, have told me, on the first time entering my home, that my living room feels very peaceful. It is my "happy place".
    Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
    Neutrals seem too blinding. Taupe might create a sharp constrast to the ceiling and molding creating a blaring effect? God I sound like a spoiled brat. First world problems - yet it is what it is. I need some peace somewhere. A halcyon room.

Also I have bipolar so energizing wouldn't be an option for that reason too. And I have the right meds. But can't shuffle through life while being a caretaker. Maybe later though ahhh....
    Celings are now sometimes being painted a neutral color -- the 5th wall, they call it.

Ceilings are now sometimes being painted a neutral color -- the 5th wall, they call it.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

A subdued sage green is what I favor. This color of my living space seems very calming. Less clutter in your space is best too - don't forget that! Green is the color of balance and peace and rest according to some psychological studies. It is also the color of the walls in my yoga class.

Blue is also for serenity, reflection and calm, but you want the color to be very, very subdued.

You might want to experiment and get sample packs of colors and spread them out on opposite walls to get an idea.

Happy and peaceful hunting!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you for the ideas. Blue is growing on me. A lot of greens have meditation/breath/other calming words in them.

I don't like reading what I wrote bc I read it and it comes out so wrong. I've isolated so much and it's truly going to be devastating when those close to me are not around anymore. MS will certainly be devastating too, and I meant it will be a relief to just get to that comfortably numb place. It's a way of having an "out". Just as it's a relief sometimes to imagine climbing a mountain and staying up there in the freezing weather and (after some major discomfort) slowing fading off. But I'm not waiting for that moment. I try not to think of the future at all.

Comment

Working...
        X