Hey! I CAN talk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey! I CAN talk!

Does anyone else have this problem when they go out to eat: the waitress takes the order of whoever I'm with, and then she'll just kind of nod at me and ask, "and what will she have?" As if I can't talk since I'm in a wheelchair. Or perhaps I am incapable of reading a menu or placing an order. Am I being overly sensitive, or does this even happen to anyone else?

You are not being over sensitive - The waiter is being disrespectful!

This gets my shackles up because it happened to me while shopping with my daughter in the mall awhile back. Sales clerks talked to DD even though I was the one with the purchases and questions. Happened more than once. I was in a w/c and they could see me, but refused to talk to me

Later, I realized that it was my responsibility to speak up. I also had a talk with my daughter about not responding to and to let people know I was there. Since then, it has never happened on subsequent trips out shopping together.

I would kindly let others know that it bothers you and when asked "what would she have" have them not answer for you. You deserve the same respect as all others!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Talk back...nicely

*nodding...grinning*

Yeap...has happened to me as well.
      Was out with family in my wheelchair at a well known restaurant that the first word is
      "The, next word starts with a O,last word starts with a G" when the waitress handed everyone a menu except me...then she left.

My adult daughter was fuming, handing me her menu when she was done. When the waitress
      returned to take orders from everyone but me...the waitress asked my daughter "and what will
      she be having tonight?" My daughter said..."First, you can give my mother the same respect
      and attention you have given me...and then ask her what SHE wants to eat"
      Hopefully it was a 'teaching moment' for her. BTW we left no tip.
      ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
      dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

Whew

I'm glad I'm not the only one! My daughter's reaction is usually to give the server a cold look and say, "Gee, I don't know, why don't you ask her?" DH, the "fixer" usually asks me and relays the message. DS usually does the same thing and complains about the server when they are out of sight. I believe I'll have a talk with DH and DS and tell them to take a lesson from DD!

Comment

I am so very sorry you dealt with this, Let me give you the name of a wonderful resta

I know they won't let me post the name, but this restaurant should receive a free ad from me. They are always very kind to me. I am in a wheelchair, and they always do everything they can, to be extra kind to me. Even the manager of the restaurant stopped and chatted with me. Midwest rstaurant S. They do deserve our business. _ _ isch_
          http://www.msworld.org/forum/images/smilies/rose.gif
          I don't know if I spelled it correctly. Just another thing I'm dealing with these days, spelling.
          http://www.msworld.org/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
          Take care,
          Marie
          Originally posted by PattiHNC View Post
          Does anyone else have this problem when they go out to eat: the waitress takes the order of whoever I'm with, and then she'll just kind of nod at me and ask, "and what will she have?" As if I can't talk since I'm in a wheelchair. Or perhaps I am incapable of reading a menu or placing an order. Am I being overly sensitive, or does this even happen to anyone else?

Comment

Never happend

I have been using a wheelchair for 11 years and have never had this happen. We go out to a restaurant at least once every week. That would amount to over 500 potential episodes of this happening.

Comment

don't get me wrong....

This certainly doesn't happen time we go out, most servers are great. But it happens often enough to be really irritating. We also go out at least once a week, if it happened too often, I'm not too sure I would continue to go out.

Comment

I would leave a note saying that it was very insensitive, which explains the lack of a decent tip. I would also tell her that just because your legs are broken does not mean that your mouth is as well
                I was withMy aid one time,And the Lady that was drawing my BloodDid not have the correct Orders so she called the doctor's office and left a message, I had another doctor appointment that I had to leave for So I called that office and asked if I could talk to a nurse, and the lady drawing my bloodCame out of her room yelling and screaming that she had already done that.Then she started to be little meSo my aide told her "just because his legs don't work does not mean that his brain doesn't"I so dearly miss her!
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

The public needs to be educated. Speak up!

Comment

Working...
                  X