Shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoes?

Hi everyone! So, I've been wearing custom orthotics in my shoes for a while, but I just got my first AFO, and I'm having trouble finding shoes it will fit in. I have the "SafeTStep" shoes (sneakers--from Payless), which have removable insoles, so it fits OK in those, and they were affordable. But I'd like something other than sneakers too, without paying a fortune. Any suggestions for a brand that might work? Thanks!
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."
    ~Mother Teresa

That problem for me wasn't finding the right shoe. I had about an 1/8 of an inch grounded off the front tip of the AFO and now it fits all my shoes and boots.

Comment

The biggest problem, as far as fitting in the shoes, isn't actually the AFO as much as the orthotics. They did trim the AFO, so I think that by itself, it would probably fit in a shoe. But I think the new orthotics they made me are more of a problem to fit. They're pretty bulky.
      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."
      ~Mother Teresa

Comment

Boys Dept.

i found getting shoes from the boy"s dept, especially sneakers works well. They are sturdier and wider than women's shoes. I'm a size 6 in the boy's dept. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbit View Post
          i found getting shoes from the boy"s dept, especially sneakers works well. They are sturdier and wider than women's shoes. I'm a size 6 in the boy's dept. lol.
          This makes me so happy! I thought I was the only one who did this

Comment

Check out a shoe repair shop

I had tried probably five pairs of shoes to try and fit over my AFO. None of them worked even though the shoe size was about 1 1/2 sizes larger than I used to wear before my AFO. I had also tried on shoes that were very wide. I found the solution when I took a pair of Rockport walking shoes to my local shoe repair shop. He tried to stretch out the shoes; however, that didn't work as he said the upper of the shoe was not made of leather which totally surprised me. He did solve my problem by cutting a V shaped section (3/4" wide and 1" on the two sides) out of the top of the shoe box just below the last Velcro strap. He also stitched the two sides of the V cut onto the top of the tongue. He charged me only $12 and his solution works perfectly!

Comment

shoes and AFO

I have not had a problem finding shoes. My tech did advised that the best shoe needs to have 5-6 eyelets or valcro. I wear the AFO in my right shoe. I do remove the insert from that side. It does stretch out the sides of the shoe but other than that no problems. I cannot put it in boots or high top tennis shoes. I still work and wear dress oxford shoes much of the time.

Comment

Working...
              X