Home Imp. Loans for the Disabled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Imp. Loans for the Disabled?

Is anyone aware of any home improvement loans for the disabled?

We desperately need to replace our roof before winter (we already have bad interior water damage) and because our credit isn't that good we're having a hard time finding a loan.

Any advice is much appreciated.
    Seattle, WA
    Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
    Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

If you or your wife are veterans...start with the VA.

If not, call your local Chapter for Habitat for Humanity. They should be able to assist in hooking you up with the correct resource for your area.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
      If you or your wife are veterans...start with the VA.

If not, call your local Chapter for Habitat for Humanity. They should be able to assist in hooking you up with the correct resource for your area.
      Thanks, Katie.
      Seattle, WA
      Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
      Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

Look for Energy Assistance for your state. It is income based but you might find help for roofing.
        Karen

Comment

Ditto on contacting the VA if you are or your spouse is a veteran.

If you live in a rural area and you are or your spouse is 62 or older, the federal government has a loan and grant program for home repair if someone in the household is disabled.

As you've found, a loan for someone with bad credit and a disability is pretty much out of the question.

Charitable organizations and crowdfunding are other options.

Comment

My only suggestion is to contact MSF: http://www.msfocus.org/about.aspx

They have some assistance programs that you can apply for. There is one grant called, "Brighter Tomorrow Grant" that provides financial assistance for things that could make a difference in your quality of life. I'd say having a functional roof over your head would be such a thing.

Unfortunately, they do post a deadline to apply of September 1.
            I'd still try to be in touch with them. They also may be able to point you in the direction of an agency that can help.

Good luck.
            RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
            (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
            Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

Working...
            X