Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copaxone, Avonex, Tysabri, Aubagoi. What next??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone, Avonex, Tysabri, Aubagoi. What next??

I'm looking for recommendations for my next DMT. I've received the following DMT treatments:

Copaxone for +2yrs, beginning with injection site reactions that prevented proper injection site rotation due to site inflammation. Ended with a probable general system wide antibody? reaction.

Avonex for less than, -1yr, due to flue sx intolerance.

Tysabri for ++2yrs with great improvement, and further significant progress.

Aubagio for +1yr, significant GI side effects limiting mobility for 3/4 of a day.

I hope to hear from other long term, multiple DMT med users, with similar side effects/intolerance for me to consider/or someone who can recommend the next med to discuss for an appointment with my MS doc later this month.

Many thanks for your time, consideration, and any responses.

Why not Lemtrada?

The most effective med I was ever on was Cellcept, but I had to give it up after several months because of intolerable GI side effects. Side effects from Aubagio may or may not be the same as for Cellcept. You'd have to try it to find out.

Is there a reason you bypassed Gilenya and went to Aubagio? If not, Gilenya could be another choice. (I have no experience with Gilenya.)

The worst med I tried was Novantrone. I felt like I'd been hit and dragged by a truck for about 4 weeks, and then a week after that I had a flare. So no benefit from it at all.

I felt fine on Rituxan, but it didn't slow down my relapses at all. Some people with MS have had very good results with Rituxan, others not so much (like me). (Rituxan is used as a preferred treatment for NMO, but it's important to NOT compare treatment for NMO with treatment for MS or be influenced by discussions of its use in NMO.) But because it has worked well for some patients with MS, Rituxan could be another option for you -- if you can get your insurance to cover it.

Comment

jreagan70, thanks for your insight

and for your recommendations.

My MS doc is Lemtrada averse? To say he's not on board with Lemtrada would be an understatement.

It may be a reflection of top hospital admin, exiting the MS infusion meds 'market', avoidance of high risk type meds, IDK. Making assumptions based on the early pro Tysabri trend in his practice, versus the current trend, which seems to be backing off from Tysabri/high risk type meds.

Tecfidera is his current DMT recommendation. After reading the literature for Tec, I'm not feeling overly confident considering the GI side effects, which is why I considered changing from Abuagio, and high risk of body hives/facial swelling that I have a life long history of, the untreatable variety, and other risk factors. Thanks again for your insight and recommendation.

Comment

Working...
      X