The joy of trips to the doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The joy of trips to the doctor

Went to the doctor today; she's big on blood pressure. She was looked exceptionally and worryingly sad at the state of me, and asked if was there anything she could do.

"You don't want that aneursym stent until you really need it, or you could have a stroke."
    I can only have Lemstrada after the stent.

Okay, then. Steroids are out, apparently, (being the court reporter I do actually know some dealers.) Um, some OxyContin, maybe, just joking?

Instead, she gave me a six month script for Ativan. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm.
    Only there for a 'flu shot. Yes, very, very lurchy, but hey ho.

Hope you're all doing well.
    Dave Barry's blog, if you're feeling miserable.

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
    Okay, then. Steroids are out, apparently
    High dose steroids may be out, but hasn't even one of your doctors considered a low daily maintenance dose of 5 or 10 mg of oral prednisone, as is done with some lupus and RA patients, to see how your body handles it? (Well OK, maybe they're on 15 to 20 mg a day, but the idea is the same.)

I've been on a daily low dose of prednisone for years because I can't tolerate any other MS meds. My need to control blood pressure because of my kidneys isn't as critical as your need to control blood pressure because of an aneurysm, but it hasn't been an issue with a low dose of a blood pressure med. It should be fairly easy to monitor blood pressure on a slow rise of daily prednisone -- even starting at 1 mg a day to see if you can build up to 5 or 10 or 15 mg. If you can't you can't, but it's worth investigating.

You might need to change neurologists and/or GPs, but it could be worth looking for a new doctor or two who have some kind of flexibility and imagination and would be willing to work with you about a few milligrams of prednisone a day rather than leave you completely on your own.

Comment

I know what you mean

I almost decided to quit going to the Dr altogether. If it ain't one thing, it's the next. I just wish one time she'd say oh, your bloodwork can back positive for xyz. Take this pill twice a day for three weeks and you'll be good as new!

I hope you feel better soon.
      You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Originally posted by alishape View Post
        I almost decided to quit going to the Dr altogether. If it ain't one thing, it's the next. I just wish one time she'd say oh, your bloodwork can back positive for xyz. Take this pill twice a day for three weeks and you'll be good as new!

I hope you feel better soon.
        I have quit going to the doctor before...twice. Dont recommend it.

But I have stopped ALL preventative stuff such as Mammograms, PAP Tests, Cholesterol and Diabetic Checks and Colonoscopies...which my docs are furious over. Pfffttttt...

Sometimes a gal has just got to draw a line in the sand...and I have drawn mine. It is just too much.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

It seems doctors don't remember anything about the last time I saw them. And I've learned don't tell them anything is wrong because I will walk out of the office with a referral for another doctor to go to.

Yes, my knees are fine.

No, I don't have any pain.

Still taking the same meds.

No, I don't want to change.

Yes, the weather is nice.

I like the hat you are wearing. (Anything to fill up the time)

Whew! I made it through that one. Day completely wasted.

Comment

Working...
          X