MS, Degenerative Disc Disease, and Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS, Degenerative Disc Disease, and Pregnancy

Would itbe advisable for a woman who is forty years old, has both RRMS and MildDegenerative Disc Disease, to have a baby? Are there others out there who havegone through the same thing and could give some advice on this matter? Myhusband and I have no children. We don't know what to do. We feellike our final window of opportunity to try and have a child isclosing or might be closed. Thank you for any advice we receive.

I have MS and mild disk degeneration. This will be my ninth attempt at getting pregnant and I am turning 39 in a couple months. Neither of those things caused anyone to advise me not to get pregnant, but some fertility clinics insisted that I get a high risk OBGYN first. I would suggest that you go to a fertility clinic or gynecologist before you begin. They can tell you about your egg reserve and quality, if your tubes are blocked, as well as the quality of your husband's genetic material and how motile it is. They can also help you to optimize your chances, for example by causing hyper ovulation through medications like Clomid. However, any hormone antagonist carries with it the increased likelihood of flares, as does the postpartum period. So, you need to evaluate what your risk tolerance is, and if you want to breast feed or go right back on DMDs (I assume your MS is not so aggressive that you would be advised to remain on meds throughout pregnancy). Being older also has additional risks to the baby such as chromosome abnormalities, etopic pregnancy, and miscarriage.

Comment

Having a child is a wonderful experience and a long, long term commitment.
      Knowing what I now know about MS I would not!
      I also have several other diseases that of course make everything worse.
      Also, although 40 is a great age for most everything getting pregnant is not one of them.
      There are so many children that need a loving home maybe consider adopting.
      I have 2 step children that I love as if they were my own, so you can love one that is not yours biologically.
      Either way wish you the best of luck 😊
      DIAGNOSED=2012
      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

One thing you have to think about...you will be 60 before this child is raised. And that does not include College. I have two. Raised and out of school. At 52...if I had kids to raise...their father would be doing it. I would divorce him, color my hair purple, move out, change my name, live in another State and grow Orchids in a town with one gas station, a Piggly Wiggly, and a Post Office.

Raising kids under the best of circumstances is difficult at best. I still am "mothering" the youngest. Not sure it will stop.

Dogs are nice, they have manners, they dont talk back and they never ask for money. Oh...and the best part...they are neutered!
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
          One thing you have to think about...you will be 60 before this child is raised. And that does not include College. I have two. Raised and out of school. At 52...if I had kids to raise...their father would be doing it. I would divorce him, color my hair purple, move out, change my name, live in another State and grow Orchids in a town with one gas station, a Piggly Wiggly, and a Post Office.

Raising kids under the best of circumstances is difficult at best. I still am "mothering" the youngest. Not sure it will stop.

Dogs are nice, they have manners, they dont talk back and they never ask for money. Oh...and the best part...they are neutered!
          Well said and quite humorous. Thank you.
          DIAGNOSED=2012
          ISSUES LONG BEFORE
          REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by mercadies25 View Post
            Having a child is a wonderful experience and a long, long term commitment.
            Knowing what I now know about MS I would not!
            I also have several other diseases that of course make everything worse.
            Also, although 40 is a great age for most everything getting pregnant is not one of them.
            There are so many children that need a loving home maybe consider adopting.
            I have 2 step children that I love as if they were my own, so you can love one that is not yours biologically.
            Either way wish you the best of luck 😊
            I totally agree. Personally I think having bio children is something everyone should carefully consider, which in most cases I don't think happens. Imo it is not an inalienable right but something that requires a huge amount of planning, consideration and preparation. Just seeing the poor quality of fathers that some women have babies with totally freaks me out. I'm left wondering if I spent more time planning my mutt's adoption than people do regarding who they are actually reproducing with.

The sad truth is MS will rob us of things we can't get away from that by putting our heads in the sand, imo. It might be cruel and unfair but that is life and I'm attempting to be proactive about planning for my unpredictable future with a miserable chronic disease.

If someone has a ton of money to possibly pay for their own full time nursing care as well as child rearing and they aren't the least bit concerned about the genetic implications of passing MS along well then have at it, I guess.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
              If someone has a ton of money to possibly pay for their own full time nursing care as well as child rearing and they aren't the least bit concerned about the genetic implications of passing MS along well then have at it, I guess.
              I don't have a ton of money but I'm comfortable. Since I'm single, my attorney has found a gay couple who will step in and co-parent, and I will sign over parental rights if I become profoundly impaired. She said that ordinarily this would be a liability as the adoptees could sue for child support or the child could endlessly badger me for money some day. I guess being crumped in a nursing home having blown through all my savings works to my advantage in that case.

Comment

First of all, I am sorry for what you are going through and understand your need for a baby. I had 3 children ALL over 10lbs. Plus, my spinal issues only got worse, barely able to walk with the last pregnancy.

Things to think about:

Now you know with a new born, they WAKE YOU UP and interfere with your needs..all the time. MS really robs one (mostly) of our rest and fatigue can kick out behinds. So now add a baby. MS can get worse (even if only pseudo) when you are stressed and tired.

Then know the baby grows up and needs you more and more. They want to be active and you cannot be.

I didn't know I had MS when I had children. I did end up divorced with young children, all on my own. It was rough. Glad I had children, but boy did I pay a price for it.

If you are going to have LOTS of help, support and folks to help you out while you take a nap, etc. then go for it.
                But..your spine will be affected. So seek out a good chiropractor NOT the kind who cracks the bones (vertebrae) but more gentle method like the B.E.S.T method. I wish I had done that while and after my pregnancies.

Good luck with your decision.

Hugs, Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                X