CURVE BALL ON MRI FROM YESTERDAY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CURVE BALL ON MRI FROM YESTERDAY.

Looking at the radiologist report from my MRI I had yesterday everything looked to the same. No new lesions and nothing earth shattering.

However, at the end of the report it was noted "The frontal venous angioma has remained unchanged." First off I didn't know anything about this from my previous MRI and I have no idea what that even is and how it relates to MS.

Has anybody ever heard of this? And how does it connect to MS if at all? It sounds serious is it something I should be concerned about? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
    However, at the end of the report it was noted "The frontal venous angioma has remained unchanged." First off I didn't know anything about this from my previous MRI and I have no idea what that even is and how it relates to MS.

Has anybody ever heard of this? And how does it connect to MS if at all? It sounds serious is it something I should be concerned about? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't know anything about brains ;-), but according to Wikipedia:
    Angiomas are benign tumors derived from cells of the vascular or lymphatic vessel walls (endothelium) or derived from cells of the tissues surrounding these vessels.

Angiomas are a frequent occurrence as patients age, but they might be an indicator of systemic problems such as liver disease. They are not commonly associated with malignancy.
    So you might say that a particularly pro-active MRI reader wrote your report. If it was never mentioned in a previous report, the "remains unchanged" wording implies (to me!) that the new reader felt it important enough to note for your records but not a cause for alarm.

Also, I don't see how this would be MS-related.

Now go ask your neuro (or ANY real doctor)...
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I think if you google angioma, it will put your mind at ease.

Angiomas are groups of blood vessels or lymphatic vessels that have clustered together in an abnormal way. They can be internal or external. If you've ever seen someone with a small, raised red bump on their skin, it was likely an angioma. I have three of them.

Angiomas in and of themselves are almost always harmless. If they're large enough, they might exert some mechanical pressure on surrounding tissues. They have nothing at all to do with MS.

An angioma is not the same thing as an aneurysm (again, you can google this).

Many doctors don't mention harmless incidental findings to patients because the patients often over-react, which causes both parties more trouble than it's worth.

Since your angioma was noted on your MRI and you're concerned about it, it might be worth talking with your neurologist about.

Comment

I wish I had something to add that would be of some help understanding the comments on your MRI report. I don't ! I can say that MS is always curveballs and knuckleballs. All of the time, every hour of the day! Good luck

Comment

Don't worry!!

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
          I used to be married to a radiologist (is that like saying "I'm not a doctor but I play one on tv"?) and here's what I know from him and his colleagues: every human being alive has all kinds of things that show up in scans but don't mean anything. The radiologist mentions it as an incidental finding but your doctor knows it means nothing.

Most people are starting to get some arthritis by their 40s and will never have any symptoms, for instance, so you aren't told. Benign growths and things like that are all over. You should see mammograms, that's why your docs need to see previous mammos to confirm the benign growths are unchanged. If they told you everything, you'd lie awake all night worrying. That's why you weren't told--it doesn't matter. If it mattered, the doc would act on it.

Side note: have you heard about those full-body MRIs you can pay for? That's why most doctors say not to do it. If you were told about all the weird things going on in your body, you'd worry. You'd get surgery to remove something that wan't ever going to be a problem, etc. Radiologists could make bucket of money by doing those MRIs but the reputable radiologists won't do them.

Comment

Agree. I have had multiple incidental notes of things in my MRIs. Like you, I had a note on MRI this year that wasn't there related to my liver. Neuro and PCP thought nothing to worry about, but took abdominal ultrasound to get better look. Turned out to be same thing as yours. They said most people are born with them and no cause for concern. However, if it does grow, they will take closer look. Since mine is large, they said if I do get in car accident or have trauma to that area, should be looked at to make sure no internal bleeding.

Why one radiologist mentioned it and others didn't, I can only guess the one who mentioned it wanted to make sure thorough report.

Likewise. gallstones on report, but lots of people have them with no problems.

Did you ever talk to neuro?
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X