UTI/ going crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
    Well I looked up D-Mannese. I think I will try it. They claim to prevent E-coli from multiplying. That alone would be a huge help.

I wonder how it got it's name. If it's what I think it is, it makes me laugh. You meet D-Mann, you like D-Mann, you have a good time with D-Mann and, when times get rough, the product will ease you from D-Mann.
    The definition of Mannose has something to do with glucose. I don't know what the D stands for.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I have had a problem with UTIs over the past year and can agree with the manic issues experiented. My neuro sent me to a URO/Gyn doctor who determined I have a bladder retention problem.

I have 2 choices. Self cath 3 times a day or try a stimulator implanted next to the sacral nerve which controls the bladder impulses. I am scheduled for this implant trial in 2 weeks. If it works, I'll get the permanent impant the following week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

OMG! I have fought uti's for years

I have fought near constant uti's over the years! Miserable!!!! I have been to many urologist and taken many antibiotics. I started taking a cranberry pill (triple strength) twice aday, one in the morning and one before I go to bed. Seems this may be helping!! At least I hope so. It is made by Natures Bounty and I think I found it at Walgreens. Directions tell you to only take one, but when I mentioned to the doctor I was taking 2 he never said anything. There is a phone number on the bottle so if you would like to check if this dose is safe, you can call and inquire. Hope this helps.

On the Sunday before last, my caregiver found me on the floor of my apartment with my head under the bed and unconscious.

The next thing I knew I woke up in the hospital with a red gown on and a Foley catheter in. Everyone was acting really strange around me so I knew something was up but they withheld my sleeping pills so I was too tired to care.

They sent me down for an MRI and I was sure they were giving me electric shock treatments. I got too scared and waved my arms out of the machine. That stopped the machine immediately so they stopped the test.

Got back to my room and I thought they had moved me to a new room. Everything seemed meticulously arranged to look like my old room only I didn't remember the green wall. Suddenly I felt like I was going blind. I looked behind me and saw they had a strobe light going. I put a cold wet washcloth over my eyes and finally they turned that thing off.

The next day I woke up and my mind was clear. They told me I had a UTI and it was causing delerium. Thank God it was only temporary!

Has anyone else heard of UTIs causing delerium? I don't want to ever experience anything lie that again. Does anyone have any ideas of how to prevent this from happening? I self-cath with sterile catheters, keep everything clean and take a daily prophylactic antibiotic. What else?

Comment

Originally posted by Lutricia View Post
          I have fought near constant uti's over the years! Miserable!!!! I have been to many urologist and taken many antibiotics. I started taking a cranberry pill (triple strength) twice aday, one in the morning and one before I go to bed. Seems this may be helping!! At least I hope so. It is made by Natures Bounty and I think I found it at Walgreens. Directions tell you to only take one, but when I mentioned to the doctor I was taking 2 he never said anything. There is a phone number on the bottle so if you would like to check if this dose is safe, you can call and inquire. Hope this helps.
          Apparently the D-Mannose is a combination of cranberry extract and probiotics. I'm taking the D-Mannose (too early to tell if it's working), I think I'll but some cranberry extract to boost the effectiveness.

I've been drinking tons of cranberry juice but I read that the sugar they put in it is counterproductive to preventing UTIs.

Right now I feel another one coming on right now. Other than my doctors appt tomorrow, all I have is prayer.

Comment

I have tried D-Mannose also for a awhile

I have also tried D-Mannose and drinking a lot of Cranberry Juice and it worked for awhile. And from what I have read, sugar is a not good, not to mention all the calories,but the triple strength Cranberry pill doesn't have the sugar and seems to be my ticket at the present, and cost effective. I buy it at Walgreens when they are on sale (buy one and get the other free)!! I hope it continues to work for me! Good luck to you! Lu

Apparently the D-Mannose is a combination of cranberry extract and probiotics. I'm taking the D-Mannose (too early to tell if it's working), I think I'll but some cranberry extract to boost the effectiveness.

I've been drinking tons of cranberry juice but I read that the sugar they put in it is counterproductive to preventing UTIs.

Right now I feel another one coming on right now. Other than my doctors appt tomorrow, all I have is prayer.

Comment

I feel that I need to add my experiences to this thread. I began my 'ride' on this MS 'roller coaster' with an UTI that stiiffened up my right leg. I fell down and messed up my jacket and my wife called an ambulance. I spent a few days in the hospital while my UTI received a good dose of antibiotics.
              I, now, use D-mannose and powdered vitamin C. Between the two supplements, I have been able to avoid UTI's for some time. My last problem with a UTI was a year ago. I don't use cranberry juice because it usually contains too much sugar. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                I feel that I need to add my experiences to this thread. I began my 'ride' on this MS 'roller coaster' with an UTI that stiiffened up my right leg. I fell down and messed up my jacket and my wife called an ambulance. I spent a few days in the hospital while my UTI received a good dose of antibiotics.
                I, now, use D-mannose and powdered vitamin C. Between the two supplements, I have been able to avoid UTI's for some time. My last problem with a UTI was a year ago. I don't use cranberry juice because it usually contains too much sugar. Good luck
                Having to go to the hospital every time a UTI strikes sucks. It's an incentive to do everything you can to prevent them.

Comment

Ha! Ha!! That is so funny!!! Loved it.

I like that!! Considering that is probably how I get them!
                  Well I looked up D-Mannese. I think I will try it. They claim to prevent E-coli from multiplying. That alone would be a huge help.

I wonder how it got it's name. If it's what I think it is, it makes me laugh. You meet D-Mann, you like D-Mann, you have a good time with D-Mann and, when times get rough, the product will ease you from D-Mann.

Comment

Working...
                  X