Is anyone taking Rituximab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone taking Rituximab?

9 months ago I switched from Tecfidera to Rituximab. I've had 3 infusions now. For those of you who are on Rituximab, how long did it take for you to see an improvement in your symptoms? I haven't noticed any improvement yet and I haven't gotten any worse. My doctor said the Rituximab will deplete my B cells and hopefully allow my body to heal. He said it could take a year or so. I have RRMS and was diagnosed 3 years ago. My worst symptom is the weakness and partial numbness in my left leg and foot. I'm also taking Ampyra to help my walking. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Originally posted by agnesbridget View Post
    9 months ago I switched from Tecfidera to Rituximab. I've had 3 infusions now. For those of you who are on Rituximab, how long did it take for you to see an improvement in your symptoms? I haven't noticed any improvement yet and I haven't gotten any worse. My doctor said the Rituximab will deplete my B cells and hopefully allow my body to heal. He said it could take a year or so. I have RRMS and was diagnosed 3 years ago. My worst symptom is the weakness and partial numbness in my left leg and foot. I'm also taking Ampyra to help my walking. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!
    I've been taking Rituxan for 3 years, after 4 yr on Tysabri & 12 yr on Copaxone. I have had no problems with any of these. I started using a cane in 2010 and a scooter 12 months ago. Dx in 1980, SPMS for several years. The most I expect is slowing progression of disability. That's consistent with the study results from 2009 that showed Rituxan slowed progression of disability to a defined disability endpoint compared to placebo. Recently added 300 mg of biotin/day. Good health.

Comment

Hello,

I have been using Rituxan (rituximab) for 8 1/2 years for NMO, after failing on other methods for the first two years of my disease course. The purpose of Rituxan is not to treat symptoms, rather the goal is to hopefully prevent relapse and to mitigate the severity if and whenever a relapse occurs. The longer one goes without relapse, the better the chance for optimum recovery. During the 8 1/2 years that I have used it, I have only had two mild relapses both of which were resolved quickly with several days of IV SoluMedrol.

Rituxan is Anti CD20+ and reinfusion is dictated by the status of the CD19. For NMO patients the desired level is 0% and 0 absolute with reinfusion indicated once the CD19 has recovered to a level of .1%. Because I have relapsed at 0 values, I am infused every three months like clockwork regardless of count. It's been a great drug for me and is the only drug that has kept me neurologically stable.

Grace (NMO+ since 2005)

Comment

Any bad side effects???

Thanks.

Diagnosed 6-28-14
        RRMS
        Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

The only side effect that I've experienced are Rituxan induced psoriasis flares. It had become pretty bad last year with the end result being an infection. My neurologist and dermatologist agreed that I could use Methotrexate as an add on to my Rituxan and since doing so I've not had any issues. It's been a very easy drug for me.

Comment

Working...
          X