Flu Shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flu Shot?

Do you all get the flu shot each year? I have every year for a while and I would like to continue to get the shot (not the mist, the inactive shot). Says it is safe as long as you are not experiencing an exacerbation at that time.
    Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

The Dr's surgery always sends me the date their vaccinating, so been doing around 10 years now. You can also get the vaccine from boots the chemist here in the u.k.

Comment

yes

I get mine every year.

The only one I have not gotten is the Chicken Pox booster. Doc did check my Varicella antibody titer and it was very positive , so I am hoping this means my body can knock the virus into stupid-land if it tries to come out and give me shingles.

that is my hope, anyway
      You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

I am planning tol get the flu shot, this year. I just saw my PCP and that was one of my questions for her. She said that it would be a good idea to get the shot. I will schedule it, soon.

Comment

Yes, I also get mine every year. Could use all the help I can get to increase the chances I won't get sick. Fevers and infections don't do my MS any favors.
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you!!!

I forgot to ask my dr. when I saw her earlier this week. I will place a quick call but I assume she will give the ok. My employer provides free flu shots every year.
            Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

Yes, I get one every year.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Yep, every year like clockwork ( in early September ). Never had any issues whatsoever, and just one mild case of influenza in last 10 years.
                RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

I get the flu shot every year. My doc recommends the injection, rather than the mist, because I have MS.

Last year, I also got the pneumonia shot and, to prevent shingles, the chicken pox vaccine.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I quit getting them a few years ago, but I don't get any vaccinations anymore. I had a couple nasty exacerbations after the pneumonia shot and after a flu shot. So neuro said to lay off the vaccinations...theory being perhaps it's an additive in the shot that triggers my reaction/exacerbation. Now that I'm not RRMS, I've wondered if it would still stir things up. I haven't had the flu even though I don't get the shot. But I'm not out and about in the general public much.

Comment

Yes benn getting

the flu shot for the past several years - no problems.

Comment

ALWAYS

I get the shot every year. Never had problems. My very first exacerbation was likely triggered from getting influenza, so I'm pretty motivated not to every get it again.

Comment

Tossing in my two cents.
                          Just has a chat with my neuro, was told that it was not only OK, but I should schedule a flu shot with my primary care doc as soon as was reasonable. Not the mist, but the shot.
                          "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                          Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Flu Shots

There is a very good article in the magazine "Momentum" (a MS mag) dealing specifically
                            with getting flu shots etc. The mag comes in the mail.
                            Basically ...never get a live vaccination...only the 'dead' flu shot kind. But before deciding to or not to...check with your primary dr. to make sure your current overall condition will tolerate.

Sorry no link
                            ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
                            dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

Flu shot et al!

I have been getting annual flu shots for 15 years and never had complications (MS has been with me at least 18 yrs). I also within the last 5 years, got pneumonia, TB, shingles, and whopping cough. The shingles vaccine, being a "live" one, took 3 doctors to sign off before I was allowed to have it. I have not experienced any problems with any of the vaccines and am very thankful to have been able to have them. I plan on keeping the annual schedule for flu shots! The only time I got sick (and I mean, really sick) was 16 years ago when I did NOT get the flu shot. Been a regular every since, no problems. But, as always, check with and take your doctor's advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X