anyone stopped an exacerbation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone stopped an exacerbation?

I was diagnosed after a bout with Optic Neuritis.... It has been 3 years, with no new exacerbation, BUT.....

I think I can feel it starting again. My head is pounding, my eyesight is deteriorating.

I DO NOT WANT STEROIDS. If there is any way to make that happen, I would love to try.

Anyone have any ideas? I am trying Aleve for the headache, trying to rest, trying to destress , trying to be happy and peaceful and calm.

Nothing is working. What do you use?
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

You can't stop an exacerbation, zilphia01

I would suggest you see your Neurologist asap to determine if you are experiencing ON and decide at that time if you want steroids or not. ON, like any other exacerbation can resolve without the use of steroids but you may not want to go without...or maybe you would.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I don't think it's possible. I quit taking steroids so I just ride it out and hope for a quick recovery.

Rest, reduce stress, stay cool and hydrated.

Call the nuero and let them know.

Best of luck to you!
      DIAGNOSED=2012
      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Going though a round of ON right now.

I am using DARK sunglasses in a dark room also alternating NSAIDs and tylenol. My computer monitor is on the lowest bright setting possible.

I've even worn sunglasses grocery shopping this weekend.

Naps and blanket forts have been my best friends for the past 3 weeks.

Comment

You can't stop the sun from rising.
          Sleep etc help but the sun is already high in the sky.
          The only, ONLY, thing that has ever stopped a flare in my 18 years of experience, is a great big dose of steroids.
          Apparently the 'roids don't work so well with ON.
          The 'roids are not much fun, either, (thrush, insomnia, weird moods) so you can't win whatever you do.
          I'm not allowed to have any more, but they do work well if you wake up and find you can't walk.

Comment

Optic Neuritis

Hi zilphia01, I have also had MS for nearly 18 years. I have had ON quite a few times. Of all the MS symptoms it seems to clear for me the quickest. My understanding is that steroids only accelerate any recovery you may naturally have. They don't improve your recovery. As ON already seems to resolve quite quickly I personally wouldn't take steroids just for ON. I prefer to keep them for when I am really stuffed ! It sounds like you are already doing all you can. My only other suggestion would probably be to see a Neurologist to see if there is anything they can recommend to improve your recovery. I know they have given me some eye exercises to do in the past. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
            Angela

Comment

Originally posted by timtam View Post
              Hi zilphia01, I have also had MS for nearly 18 years. I have had ON quite a few times. Of all the MS symptoms it seems to clear for me the quickest. My understanding is that steroids only accelerate any recovery you may naturally have. They don't improve your recovery. As ON already seems to resolve quite quickly I personally wouldn't take steroids just for ON. I prefer to keep them for when I am really stuffed ! It sounds like you are already doing all you can. My only other suggestion would probably be to see a Neurologist to see if there is anything they can recommend to improve your recovery. I know they have given me some eye exercises to do in the past. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
              Ah Timtam, I knew you were a fellow Australian when you used the word "stuffed". Plus your username. (TimTams are lovely chocolate biscuits, or "cookies", American friends.) Welcome aboard.

Comment

Hello

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                Ah Timtam, I knew you were a fellow Australian when you used the word "stuffed". Plus your username. (TimTams are lovely chocolate biscuits, or "cookies", American friends.) Welcome aboard.
                Yes Thinkimjob, you got me ! Thanks for the welcome. I read here every week but don't write much. I didn't realise stuffed wasn't a worldwide description. We will have to get it popularised !!! It's the best descriptive word for how I feel sometimes !!!
                Angela

Comment

Working...
                X