Another promising development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another promising development

As we all know, there are lots of promising research and developments using mouse models that either don't work or are too dangerous for humans. Add to that the decades of research, clinical trials, and FDA hoops to jump thru, it's hard to get excited about 'new possible treatments'.

That being said, I found this article interesting and thought I would share it. It is a long and technical article but the interesting part for me was:

But, a far more important role for LIF-NP in MS therapy is myelin repair, which is currently untreatable
    . Rittchen et al. [36] showed that, in vivo, LIF-NP targeted to OPC increased the quality of myelin repair by both increasing numbers of remyelinated axons and increasing thickness of remyelinated axons.

The article is long and pretty scientific, but here is the link (if allowed).
    http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/publications/download.php?id=38560

I apologize if this has been previously posted.
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

So what's the upshot? it will be 20 years before the scientists can get this into a human clinical trial? I can't understand all of the medical mumbo-jumbo ! No need to apologize for offering any piece of information to this community. We are starved for 'good news' ! Hope to see something positive real soon. Good luck

Comment

Jerry:

What I get from this post is that it is very good news indeed. Setting up clinical trials is lengthy and arduous, and it seems that this research indicates that trials may begin sooner than if a mouse model was needed to prove a hypothesis.

"In Vivo" means "within the living organism," as opposed to "In Vitro", which means "in glass" (test tube). To me, that might mean that researchers just got ahead of the mouse model game and can go directly to designing human trials. I hope I'm not far off the mark here.

Comment

Working...
      X