BEWARE of suprapubic caths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEWARE of suprapubic caths

I have been in the hospital for 13 days with a wicked staph and yeast infection in my urine due to the catheter that I have probably had for the last three months and has not been effectively treated. They told me today for the first time (I have had this cath for 2 years) that you will get on average 4 UTIs a year. I was SO mad. I have had them on and off since I have had it put in the hospital at length several time since. This stay I had several allergic reactions to the Vancomycin. I have only two weeks to leave my home now-been given an extension.

Anyway these catheters are incredibly helpful for bladder retention with difficulty intermittently cathiterization.
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

That doesn't sound like much fun, 22 Cyclist. Staph infections are dangerous. You'd think they would have told you about the regular, inevitable UTIs.
    Does the suprapubic catheter take away the feeling of "needing to go"?
    Get better, and get another "extension". How could anyone expect you to move out when you are sick as a dog? Shame on him.

Comment

Wow, Lisa - another blow to hit you! I'm sorry you landed in the hospital again

Hoping you feel better soon
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
        That doesn't sound like much fun, 22 Cyclist. Staph infections are dangerous. You'd think they would have told you about the regular, inevitable UTIs.
        Does the suprapubic catheter take away the feeling of "needing to go"?
        Get better, and get another "extension". How could anyone expect you to move out when you are sick as a dog? Shame on him.
        I have had my SP Cath for 6 years. Before I spent all my time in the rest room in "just in case" mode. I have no feeling from my chest down. I was told that I would have infections and to clean the area twice a day. My bladder would never test normal again. It is rejecting the rubber tubing all the time. I never know when I am going or not.

Hope you heal fast.

KK

Comment

lisa, i feel so bad for you! "an extension"?
          i cannot write what i am thinking. hope you get well soon. i just got over a yeast infection myself. i wish we would have been better informed beforehand.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Lisa,

So sorry to hear about the infection and hospitalization. Hope you feel better soon.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm sorry about your latest medical misadventure. I pray that they have you on the right antibiotic and that the infection clears up quickly and completely.

Thanks for spotlighting these complications, we would not even know to ask about, unless someone informs us. It is very helpful! sorry that you have to experience them to gain this knowledge,

Comment

How have you been, Lisa? We've been missing hearing from you and I pray that things have turned around for you! Let us know
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Lisa, I definitely thought of you when I opened this thread. I guess there is no magic bullet and we have to keep taking care of ourselves the best we know how.

A supra public catheter creates a place to cath where it is easier to keep sterile but there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.

Comment

Working...
                  X