I have been EXTEMELY sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been EXTEMELY sick

I almost killed myself this morning...because I can't cope. No worries moderators, family is enroute. But I can't live like this much longer.

I have had continuous nausea and vomiting for over a month. I have lost weight and hair.

Went to ER after first week. Sent me home.

Went to PCP...he put me on antibiotics.

Got worse went back to ER. Was admitted for observation and tests. The got the CT and the scope done. Nothing substantial. My 72-hour observation period was up and they kicked me out of the hospital before they could test my gallbladder and pancrease.

And I am still sick. I can not figure out for the life of me what it is. Can it be a part of my Multiple Sclerosis?

If this is part of MS...I don't think I can handle it. Please...no "God does not give us anything more than we can handle." He does...

Want to go back into the hospital, but was told that under Obamacare...72 hours is all you get now. Any ideas?
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

So sorry to hear. A month is a long time for things not to get better. I don't know if it's part of MS, but, my theory is usually, that, because MS is neurological and our brain controls everything, it could very possibly be MS. What does your doctor say?

You don't mention that they've tried steroids. My flares don't usually improve, in fact they get worse, until I go on steroids. If what you're in is an MS flare, that should be something they consider, IMO.

I'm glad family is on their way. Don't give up. You may not be able to go like this forever, but it's likely you won't need to. MS usually remits.

And, you're right. God does sometimes give us more than we can handle; if He didn't, suicide wouldn't exist. But, if we can't handle things alone, hopefully, with family and friends and medication and God's help, things will improve and you will be able to handle what you're left with.

I wish I could be more helpful. How often have I wanted a magic wand? Sigh. Thinking of you.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
      And I am still sick. I can not figure out for the life of me what it is. Can it be a part of my Multiple Sclerosis?

If this is part of MS...I don't think I can handle it. Please...no "God does not give us anything more than we can handle." He does...

Want to go back into the hospital, but was told that under Obamacare...72 hours is all you get now. Any ideas?
      It could be...a lesion in the medulla can cause vomiting.

Here's a link to a pubmed abstract that discusses a case of MS presenting with vomiting. They tried to image a lesion in the medulla, and couldn't (evidently those lesions can be hard to find because it's such a small area of the brain), but due to other tests, and the remission of the symptom, they came to the conclusion the vomiting was due to the MS. The medulla controls autonomic function which includes heart rate, bp, breathing, vomiting, huccups, etc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10614156

Google Multiple Sclerosis and Vomiting and you'll find a couple of stories from folks who have had vomiting for a couple months, and then it remits.

Maybe if they knew what was causing it, they could prescribe a med to help. In the abstract it mentions a med that helped the nausea.

Since you've explored the other avenues, maybe it's time to ask your neuro to see if they can image anything in the medulla.

Hope you get some answers.

Comment

hugs

Hugs,
        I hope you feel better. I thought that what Mamabug said was good....maybe a steroid would help if it is an Ms flare.

I know nothing about obamacare. However, I think you should go back to the hospital. Again, I don't know, but my impression is that if you go, they cannot send you away. You could at least mention the possibility that you think a steroid might help.

Please be safe. I am glad you have family on the way.

If you are able to let us know how you are doing, it would be great.

Jenny
        RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
        (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
        Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

(hugs)

Katie, I have been thinking of you often and now I know why. I am so sorry that you are going through this difficult time. It sounds pretty awful.

I truly wish that there was something that I could do to help you. I would suggest going right back to the emergency room and let them readmit you for at least 72 more hours and they could continue the testing that was not completed and give you anti-nausea medication and pain medication, so that at least you can sleep.

Please call the ambulance if you have to and go back today. Even if you share with them your feelings of not being able to cope, they would have to admit you.

I believe in the power of prayer, this is a good time to give it all to GOD, cry out to him and let him know that you can't do this on your own and that you need Him. That is the prayer that I will be praying for you.

When you first started posting you were going through a difficult time and things DID get better. It can happen again. One day at a time! Look up the definition of faith. I am praying for you Katie, you have encouraged me so often.

You can get through this terrible time, You will get through it! Did they give you steroids?

Is there anything that I can do for you??

Please take your strength from GOD. He does love you and is with you even now.

Comment

Katie so sorry to hear you feel so crappy. I would definitely call neuro and PCP again. Get PCP to order tests for pancreas, gallbladder, etc... Can they at least give you something to help with nausea?

I am glad to hear your family is on way to help. That is a long time to deal with nausea and vomiting. I had it once, but accompanied by chronic vertigo. I assume you are not experiencing vertigo though. If so, then definitely would suspect MS. Even without vertigo, could be MS.

Did you travel anywhere before this or stop/ start medication?

Please keep us updated.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thinking of you and hoping you catch a break soon. Hugs, Jules
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Katie

Sorry to hear you are going through all of this! I know it's rough, and seems like it won't end. But hang in there for just a little longer.

My very close friend who does not have MS had vomiting, diarrhea, and generally felt ill since December. It took the doctors 4 months to find out it was her gallbladder causing all the issues. Once her gallbladder was removed, she felt like her old self again. BUT, it took intervention by her family with the doctor to get him to listen to her and get her the help she needed.

We have to be our own patient advocate when dealing with medical stuff. No one knows our bodies like we do, and no one can stick up for us better than we can. Especially if we don't have family close enough to help.

Maybe your PCP can give you a referral to a gastrointestinologist and he will have some idea of what is going on. And get you back to "normal" soon!

I know it's easy for me to say "Hang in there, lady", as I am not the one suffering in your shoes. But I hope you do hang in there, and let your family come to help and support you.

Hugs and prayers for you!
                Echo
                DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

I am so sorry!!!!

Katie,

i am so so sorry for everything you have been going through. I am very glad that you have family coming to you.

Please get your neuro and gp involved, and even a gastroenterologist. Let them work together to discover the cause. You are in my thoughts.
                  Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

Katie-please hang in there. Could the nausea and vomiting be a reaction to your meds? I'm surprised your PCP or Neuro or the ER didn't check that out.
                    I'm thinking of you. And hoping you feel better soon.

Comment

Oh Katie~ I'm so sorry about this! Don't have any new suggestions from what others have said, but just to let you know I'm thinking of you and glad your family is with you.

I hope you can get things figured out and you recuperate quickly.
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I had a bad feeling something must have been wrong, Katie, you poor woman.
                        A month is way too long to be vomiting all the time.
                        What is a hospital for other than to treat/ care for people who are sick?
                        I know you're not suicidal, but in Australia, even mention the word to your doctor and you will get 72 hours in hospital.
                        I'd be guessing, but maybe all this is a side effect of medication, or maybe pancreatitis or maybe both.
                        Unfortunately, I'm only Dr Google.

Pleased your family is coming to help, and I hope you feel better really soon.

All the very best from the land down under.

(You're probably not in the mood for it, but "chunder" is our slang for "vomit". It rhymes!)

Comment

Ditto to what Seasha said. I just feel so bad for all you are dealing with. There are times you wish you could catch a break. I'll pray for you on that one.

My best....
                          Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                          RRMS
                          Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Katie, I just wanted to wish you well, hopefully feeling better really soon. 1 month is too long a period of vomiting. Please be super careful to hydrate yourself, even if the liquid makes another appearance via your mouth. Some Pedialyte would help greatly. It will keep your electrolytes up there.

Please keep us posted.
                            Jen
                            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

It's been over 24 hours since you posted -- hope you family was able to get you back in the hospital for more testing.

As others have said it could be your pancreas or gall bladder. Hope docs are able to get you well soon.

Bree

Comment

Working...
                              X