Cardio/ Running with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardio/ Running with MS

How do you handle cardio/ running with MS?

I was diagnosed in Dec. 2013 with RRMS. I had been diagnosed after an episode with encephalitis. I spent four months recovering... then MS symptoms slowly appearing.

When I was hospitalized (in the ICU) with encephalitis, I missed a half marathon I had spent all summer training for- my FIRST half. After being diagnosed with MS, I insisted on completing the annual 10 mile race I did the two years before. I finished in a time very close to my personal record. Once again, this year, I ran the 10 mile race and took 10 minutes off my record time! Training was much more difficult, but luckily, race day was nice and cool and I ate well.

This fall, I am registered for the half marathon that I missed two years ago. I started training but my MS is acting up. I got married a few weeks ago, and everything was fine. I don't know if it was because I was too relaxed with my diet, if it was too much activity or just stress.

I am determined to train and participate in this race. First, I need to figure out how to combat the fatigue and humidity. (I also have started having spasticity in my arms and leg which has made my muscles increasingly tight-- something I'm hoping improves with fitness.)

Tips? Suggestions? How do you stay cool? How do you manage to maintain your fitness?

Congrats on your marriage! I am so glad that you started this thread. I was also dxed in 2013 and have worked hard since then to get in shape. I still have a ways to go, but I will share what I can.

First, yoga has really been life changing for me. It allows me to strengthen muscles evenly and has almost eliminated routine muscle tightness. I admit that I suffer through the yoga workouts, but they have so drastically improved my overall health that I am willing to deal with the pain of pigeon pose!

My trouble with running isn't related to general fatigue or heat (neither of which bother me). I have a weak leg and issues with foot drop due to muscle fatigue. I am hoping that yoga will help to combat that long term, but, if not, I will continue to limp through 5ks as long as I am able.

There's a lot of good info on cooling vests on ActiveMSers. For general fatigue, I am not sure what to recommend other than diet tweaks (your diet is probably already pretty clean, though, if you are training for a half marathon). You might try yoga too for combating spasticity.

Comment

Thank you!

Yes, yoga is on my list of things to do. I am a member at LA Fitness, and tried yoga there but I don't enjoy it. A colleague of mine goes to a yoga studio. She offered to take me and show me around. That is on my to-do list for next month!

Comment

Congratulations on your recent marriage! I'm not much of a runner, but I do exercise regularly. Some of the programs I have done are pretty intense (e.g., Insanity). What I have noticed is that when I get too hot my MS symptoms start to bother me. When this happens I take a couple sips of cold water and bring the intensity of the workout down a bit. I've managed to lose almost 30 lbs. and drop 3 sizes so it is possible to stay fit with this disease, it's just hard sometimes.

My tips are to stay well hydrated because this is a quick way to cool your body down and if you are going to run outside in the heat you might want to look into getting a cooling vest. Also, don't plan on winning the half marathon. Make sure you train for it so you won't push yourself too hard and slow down when you need to and you should be fine. Exercise helps me with my fatigue but I also take a stimulant so you may need to try out some different things that work for you.
        Lori
        Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Used to be a runner. For whatever reason running and even walking outdoors for fitness is out for me. Part of that is heat sensitivity. However, I discovered that I can bike for miles and miles. I also figure skated for years which was fantastic because of the cold environment. Swimming is a yes for me as well. I think that the closest match to running is the biking. I do it recreationally, but if I was more committed I'd join a riding group. Hope you can stay fit. It is hard when you have to give up a sport, but there are always alternatives!

Comment

My first symptoms occured while running in 90 degree weather, so exercise is scary for me. I agree that yoga is the way to go for combating spasticity, which I have in my ribs. Swimming would be good for cardio endurance training as well as keeping cool.

I have a cool vest, but it only lasts a couple of hours and really just makes me sweaty, not cool I used it this June at Disney World where it was 90+ degrees daily. If the weather is cooler for your endeavors, it might create coolness instead of humidity.

Also, (and this is weird) depending on how much hair you have, there are also cooling caps/hats. I find that my head gets really hot before the rest of me does. Not fashionable, but functional:/

Comment

What I do during my training is breaking my runs up into parts especially as you get to the longer distances. For example if I am doing a 12 mile run - I will do a 4 mile loop 3 times and stop for a little break between the loops to drink and fuel with a bar or gel. I just run the full distance straight through on race day. Good luck with your training.

Comment

Working...
              X