Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some helpful advice...

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping for some advice in regards to entering the area of MS research. Someone very close to me was recently diagnosed which as led me too become extremely involved in this area. I am currently looking into graduate programs and am wondering what type of grad programs other than a medical degree can bring me into this field. I am most interested in areas such as Neuroscience because I have a small but successful background in these courses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

It's great that you want to go into Neuroscience. I really am not knowledgeable about what the 'best' school would be. I found this online:

US News and World Report Best Neuroscience/ Neurobiology Graduate Schools

I don't necessarily think that you have to go to one of the top 10 to receive an awesome education and become an awesome neurologist. I believe mine did her MD at Univ of Michigan and then the residency/fellowship at Ohio State University.

I'd say start doing your own research, and try to connect with some neurologists in the field and see if they would do an informal information gathering information with you where you can learn what they would recommend. Also, do the same with schools you are interested with, contact the schools and try to get more information. Hearing from students who are currently doing their MD, but planning to go into neuroscience would probably be great.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Hope this helps a little
    RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
    (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
    Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

Working...
    X