Quitting Smoking and Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitting Smoking and Fatigue

So I am finally getting around to quitting smoking. I am using the patch and just stepped down to the final step. Fatigue has always been an issue with my MS but I have always been able to deal with it however I noticed in the past couple days since going down to step 3 (7mg nicotine patch) that the fatigue has been way worse.

So a brief study on the internet shows that nicotine is a stimulant and I have to assume that I have been battling fatigue by smoking.

I don't want to go back to smoking and with the help of the patch I have been doing really well without it, but I can not deal with this level of fatigue. Any suggestions? It would be awesome to be smoke free and I have been really proud of myself so far. I would hate to go back to smoking because it's the only way I can stay awake all day.
    Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Please don't start back! You should be proud of yourself!! Can you do a second round of the patches in the middle or maybe alternate between days. Will take a bit longer, but will give your body time to adjust. Also drink coffee.

Comment

Ditto on the patches...you can actually stay on them much longer than the package states. However, please get your docs approval.

The fatigue you are experiencing from quitting smoking will eventually go away. Your body is healing. Join Quit Net.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

You could talk to your MD about a prescription for Wellbutrin. It is used to curb cravings, is an antidepressant, and it can have a stimulant effect for many people. I've taken 300mg/day off and on since 1992 (had terrible clinical depression as a child/teen.)

I quit smoking (didn't smoke much) over 12 years ago...Wellbutrin was key. I take it now for fatigue and to stave off depression. Generic is good (didn't used to be) the name brand is insanely expensive.
        RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
        X