Occupational Therapy. . What to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupational Therapy. . What to expect

I have an appointment to start occupational therapy next week. Is this the beginning of the end? Do I have to face up to reality of this disease? I have been muscling through doing things (housework, gardening, walking, etc) because I am afraid of losing or giving in to MS. Will the OT force me to accept that there are things I can't do, or will it help me to keep doing what I want to do?

Originally posted by DorOMA View Post
    I have an appointment to start occupational therapy next week. Is this the beginning of the end? Do I have to face up to reality of this disease? I have been muscling through doing things (housework, gardening, walking, etc) because I am afraid of losing or giving in to MS. Will the OT force me to accept that there are things I can't do, or will it help me to keep doing what I want to do?
    Well, yes and no.

Occupational therapy will help you do the things that you are still able to do in a SAFER manner. You're not giving in to MS, it sorta has you between a rock and a hard place. You may not get any worse or you may recover some loss of functioning. But until you do, why risk further injury or loss in trying to maintain what you have doing the things you want to do?

I went through occupational therapy last year, when I had spinal surgery in addition to my MS diagnosis. It was a trementdous help and allowed me to continue to do things (like bathing) with much less risk or injury. It has allowed me to cook (something I really love to do) without having to eat take-out on a constant basis or wait for someone to cook for me.

Occupational therapy is for the purpose of maintaining independence with what you have.

Comment

Accept the help!

It is definitely not giving in. It's making the most of what strength MS has left us. OT ( and PT ) showed me better ways of coping with everyday tasks, from getting dressed to getting in and out of vehicles, to helping with housework. And as RColeman said, it helps teach us to do things safer.

Comment

Thank you. Both of you calmed me down quite a bit. I will approach this as keeping what independence I have left safely. Thank you again

Comment

Working...
        X