Winter Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Boots

It's hard to imagine cold weather while we are enduring a blazing hot summer but, when it comes to shopping for women's fashion, one must think ahead.

I just moved to a new state to escape the heat. I have never lived in a place where it snows in the winter before. We have always worn flip flops on Christmas Day. I'm excited to see my first white Christmas.

So now I am looking for boots to wear in the snow. Besides the usual considerations in shopping: comfort, appearance etc., there is now the most important: MS! I want a boot that I can walk around in snow and ice without falling. I walk with a cane because my balance is very bad. I have other foot problems so the road is getting very narrow.

Any suggestions?

You can add traction to your shoes or boots with slip on devices. There are a few different brands, Yaktrax is one of them. There are also ice tips for canes. You can find them both on Amazon.

Best of luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

def an ice spikeI

I strongly recommend the ice spike that goes on the end of your cane. Mine stays on all winter and has saved me many times.

I like boots that are easy to slip on with NO HEEL.... It is hard for me to change shoes often. So I wear my sneakers to work on snowy or icy days and put up with "the look". I bet the look is not even there, I am imagining it. My administrators are very helpful.

I love winter.... this heat on the other hand..........
      You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Along with traction spikes for my boots, I have found in the past that walking with adjustable trekking poles that have ice tips were best for me for walking outdoors. Better balance and stability and besides, they weren't so obvious. Passerbys thought I was out for exercise only.

Now I need to use a walker. Maybe they make wheels with capped tires for winter

You can test out trekking poles at sporting goods stores if that is something that interests you. Also consider a boot that has some extra wiggle room as you'll probably need to wear thick warm socks. And yes - no heels!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

if they are warm enough, I would say just to wear hiking boots. They are usually a flatter bottom with a very small heel and an aggressive traction pattern, and they are easy to wear some sort of slip on traction device over your boot
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks for all your great suggestions! The trekking pole is a great idea. I normally wear sneakers. Maybe I could get by with them but I have to walk upstairs to my apartment. It is on the north side so the snow seems to pile up on the steps. I will look into the hiking boots. I hate heels anyway so that will not be a sacrifice.

Comment

Great winter boot brands that I really like are:

- Merrell are attractive, keep feet warm/dry, not too heavy. I can't wear my hiking boots anymore, they are 4 lbs each. I have two pairs of Merrell boots.

- Cougar brand are really warm, easy to put on, fairly attractive for a sturdy snow boot. I have one pair.

- Uggs are hideous, expensive, but darn comfy once broken in. You must waterproof the outside. These feel good on my burning-numb-hot needles- feeling feet. I have one pair 6 years old; just the short, plain style in dark charcoal color.

Get a good down coat with hood, and length that comes to mid-thigh. Ahhh! -20 in January and I just laugh
              RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

While you're finding those boots don't forget your hands.
                I keep at least 2 pair. A lighter weight pair of gloves for days when the weather is chilly and a pair of thick heavy mittens for the really cold days.
                Sometimes my hands have a harder time with the cold than my feet.
                "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

I'm so oblivious to the cold. In winter in LA people would wear snow hats and scarves and mittens just for winter fashion. It made me laugh to see them when it's 70 degrees outside. Everyone would buy sweaters for Christmas gifts and walk outside and it's 85 degrees.

I somehow think I can endure it like those people who walk on coals and not feel a thing. When I came up here to visit in January, it was 12 degrees and I walked around with only a tee shirt. But I think I was just so tired of the heat that I wanted to soak up the cold.

When you say a down coat with a hood, do you mean something like a ski parka? I will look into the Merrill boots. I have a spur on my heel that makes it really hard to fit any shoe other than flip flops. Ha ha.

Comment

Another vote for Merrill boots. Mine are flat bottomed with excellent tread, warm lambs wool interior and do not weigh too much. They also last. I got mine in 1998 and am planning on using them again this coming winter. It does snow a bunch in southwest Michigan but I probably only wear them 30-40 times in a season because if it is too bad I stay inside.

Comment

Merrills are good, warm and comfortable.

Comment

Coat: long quilted coat with goose or duck-down filling. The ones that come to mid thigh or knee are great (warm tush and no cold wind getting up your shirt!) I like a zip-off hood so you can choose to wear it, and it's easier to clean. I like that they are very light-weight, but really toasty.

I have a coat made by Isis, style is "Snow Queen". I LOVE it. Was pricey, but I found a sale online. I've had it 7 years and still looks almost new. Colombia and North Face also make nice down coats.
                        RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

heat packs

I also have invested in a bunch of handwarmers that I can pop for instant heat. I keep them handy to use when it is bitter (It gets -30F here every winter). I have also made a few of the microwavable heat packs for my neck and shoulders. 100% cotton fabric, sewn into length/width I want, fill 3/4 full of rice (some bean types work too). Microwave 3 min and makes a great shoulder or bed foot warmer on a cold night. Careful about time, you can get it too hot and burn yourself. I put a few drops of a yummy smelling essential oil on the pack and it smells so good, making me happy and warm.

I also have both the popping cold pack (instant pack) and some that are in the freezer for the days that are 90F....

our weather is psycho

karen
                          You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

I found some Merrill Boots that are really cute. I just hope they don't hurt my feet. Super pricy$$! By the time I get the snow tires, boots and down coat I will be over $1000. That's enough to fly to the south for the winter.

Comment

Try some of the discount stores like Marshall's TJ Maxx, etc. I usually get mine from there as I can't afford them otherwise. They will stock them early and when there gone, there gone. Don't forget to invest in a good hat and gloves. In is worth it to invest in ones made for skiing. The others are big, heavy and doesn't work even close to keeping you warm.

Comment

Working...
                              X