Tecfidera and JC Virus +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tecfidera and JC Virus +

Just wondering how many people are JC virus + and taking tecfidera. I am + and have been taking tecfidera for over a year. I do have blood work every 3 months and so far no problems. I know there is a lot of talk about some PML cases but these cases have involved patients who had severe leukopenia for long periods of time.

Read that Biogen's stock has gone way down because fewer people are taking this medication because of the PML cases. Not sure if this is because doctor's are prescribing it less or patients are refusing it.

I know that many patients are + for the virus and still receive Tysabri infusions with careful monitoring by their doctors. Why should tecfidera be any different?

I took Tecfidera being JCV+ and had no qualms with it. I did my blood work and continued on with life. IMO, the two Tecfidera patients that developed PML should not have been on the medication. These two PML cases probably should be more about errors in judgement and not the expected lethality of a drug.

Biogen stock went through the roof because of Tecfidera's early success. Biogen upped their forecast predicting continued explosive growth for Tecfidera and that did not materialize. That doesn't mean Tecfidera is losing marketshare, just that Biogen did not properly forecast growth. Overall, Biogen stock is much higher as a result of Tecfidera.

Tysabri still stands alone with regards to MS patients and PML. Gilenya and Tecfidera have had a combined handful of cases that should largely be mitigated by monitoring and common sense. I still believe Biogen should do a better job educating patients and pay for JCV tests upon patient request.

Comment

JC vrus +

Thank you Marco for always putting things in perspective. I do agree with you that the two PML cases involved patients that shouldn't have been on Tecfidera in the first place.

I am sorry to learn that you have had to discontinue Tecfidera. Is there any chance that you may be able to resume this medication again? I wish you the best and as always look forward to hearing from you on this site.

Comment

Hi rsinger, I am jcv + and have been on tec. for two yrs., so far so good.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
        X