Just another summer rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another summer rant

I am thrilled to be able to go to my brother's wedding in Eastern Europe in 2 weeks.

Much less happy that I do not know what we are doing for three days before the wedding, what the accommodations are or what is appropriate to wear. Or if there are public bathrooms.

None of which would be a big deal...except that it's 94 degrees there right now and not likely to be cooler then! Evidently there is a sightseeing tour of some sort. And we'll be staying in guest rooms, air conditioning status unknown.

And I just learned today the wedding itself is OUTSIDE! We don't know where. Go with the flow, my mother says. She's sympathetic, but doesn't get it. We'll all be uncomfortable, even if it doesn't make us ill, she says.

I am not concerned about feeling sick or having a bit of buzzing in my legs: that's a given. I am terrified that I am going to stumble, fall, be completely unable to stand. Or just melt into fatigue after waking about in the heat for 2 days & then having to dress up. Or that my 1-hour bladder will betray me.

I'm not high maintenance and I'm not whiney (much), but good Lord, overseas, sleep & meds schedule whacked out...and sitting in a dress at a wedding on a 90 degree day. I manage & walk fine at home because I don't DO stupid stuff like that.

I am going to fall on my face, embarrass my family and offend all my future in laws. And this is the only place anyone could possibly understand that I'm NOT. WORRIED.ABOUT. FEELING HOT.

Sorry, had to let that out. Maybe I'll pin a cooling scarf to my bra under my dress. Think it would get enough air to evaporate properly?

I am sorry this must be hard for you. Where in Eastern Europe are you going to?
    RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
    on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
    Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Comment

I was in this same position, few weeks ago and was stressing a lot about it too. Was worrying about what to wear, what to do if I got tired etc. In the end I feel like a complete idiot tbh that I stressed about these things because I loved going to the wedding, having fun and just for a moment not think too much about my health situation. Just relax and enjoy!

In the end I wore a dress with flats and even though the venue was outside, they had this big tent that had shadow and tons of chairs to sit on. So the heat wasn't really an issue for me. What you can do is bring a hat with you(those big round ones, looks fancy too lol), sunglasses, wear open shoes and a short dress for the cooling effect. You can also take a fan with you or ask for ice cubes with your drink lol. In the end the sun is going to go down and that's when the party will begin so you'll just have to try to survive the afternoon which I'm sure they will have some options for shadow as I can't see the bride standing in that heat without her make up melting off lol.

So my tip to you is please don't stress too much about it, take this wedding how it goes but don't let the MS hold you down.

Comment

A year ago I went to a good friend's daughter's wedding in Madison, WI. It was at an old mansion. It was HOT. I use a walker-first thing has to go up four rock steps to get to the yard. They had tables set up under tents on a very ruff grassy area. Was not the best for me. Another friend uses a cane. He had some trouble too. The wedding itself was inside--HOT. They food was then served back outside. Good thing my hubby was there to go get stuff for me, walking with walker was not easy. At end of night I did OK leaving but my friend with cane took a tumble!!

We were all happy to get to our hotel with air conditioning. Went right to bar!

Good luck with your trip and wedding. Wear what is confortable for you.
        toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
        Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

Originally posted by trevvian View Post
          I am thrilled to be able to go to my brother's wedding in Eastern Europe in 2 weeks.

Much less happy that I do not know what we are doing for three days before the wedding, what the accommodations are or what is appropriate to wear. Or if there are public bathrooms.

None of which would be a big deal...except that it's 94 degrees there right now and not likely to be cooler then! Evidently there is a sightseeing tour of some sort. And we'll be staying in guest rooms, air conditioning status unknown.

And I just learned today the wedding itself is OUTSIDE! We don't know where. Go with the flow, my mother says. She's sympathetic, but doesn't get it. We'll all be uncomfortable, even if it doesn't make us ill, she says.

I am not concerned about feeling sick or having a bit of buzzing in my legs: that's a given. I am terrified that I am going to stumble, fall, be completely unable to stand. Or just melt into fatigue after waking about in the heat for 2 days & then having to dress up. Or that my 1-hour bladder will betray me.

I'm not high maintenance and I'm not whiney (much), but good Lord, overseas, sleep & meds schedule whacked out...and sitting in a dress at a wedding on a 90 degree day. I manage & walk fine at home because I don't DO stupid stuff like that.

I am going to fall on my face, embarrass my family and offend all my future in laws. And this is the only place anyone could possibly understand that I'm NOT. WORRIED.ABOUT. FEELING HOT.

Sorry, had to let that out. Maybe I'll pin a cooling scarf to my bra under my dress. Think it would get enough air to evaporate properly?
          You are absolutely right to be concerned! This isn't an afternoon event in the next suburb but a very long trip to a place that does not necessarily cater to those with disabilities or those who can't tolerate heat (many locations in Europe do not have air conditioning). We can go with the flow to a point, but you have brought up some very challenging situations.

Sure, I would bring a cooling scarf and plenty of incontinence undergarments and definitely invest in a cool open-weave airy linen dress, blouse and/or cropped pants. You could also add one of those tiny battery operated fans or misters, which really help.

I don't know if you use a cane, but I would definitely invest in one of those tripod canes that have a built-in seat. That way you will never be caught tired with weak legs in a place where there's no seat. And it would be easy enough to carry on the plane.

But mostly I would ask your brother to help! I would ask for the name, phone number and email of the venue and other accommodations and contact them and ask them questions about these locations and reassure yourself. They will be used to answering tourist questions and I'm sure they would be happy to help.

Comment

Working...
          X