Narcotics and Constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narcotics and Constipation

I've been on narcotics for MS pain for several years now, and the med has slowed my bowels down to a crawl. True, drinking Metamucil three times a day does help, but that stuff does get hard to drink after a little while since most my meds take my appetite. I struggle to eat. For those who also suffer with constipation, what are you doing?
    Melissa--Betaseron 2007-2010; Novantrone 2008; Tysabri 2010-2012; Rituxan 2012; Tecfidera 2015; Currently-No DMD

Healer is my GOD!

Hi tired_teacher,

Metamucil comes in capsules. This form would be easier to get in than the powder you mix with liquids and works just as well.

Stool softeners would be another option to use in conjunction with Metamucil. A Dr. recommended brand is Colace. You could also try MiraLax, many have found it helpful.

My husband is currently on narcotics due to a surgery and both Colace and MiraLax were both recommended as well as fiber. I have used stool softeners since I was a young child (Dr. recommended), but I also use Metamucil capsules.

Hope you find something that helps, constipation is no fun
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi tired teacher:

If laxatives and stool softeners and suppositories and enemas aren't helping enough, you might ask your doctor about an injectible medicine called Relistor.

Relistor is FDA approved for short-term treatment in people with serious, advanced illnesses who have opioid-induced constipation. It isn't FDA approved for cases like yours, but it can be prescribed off-label if your doctor feels it would be appropriate, you want to take on the risks, and s/he wants to take on the responsibility of monitoring you. Bear in mind that one of the notifications in the prescribing information is, "Be within close proximity to toilet facilities once RELISTOR is administered."

Relistor blocks some of the opioid effects that are causing the constipation without blocking the pain-relieving effects.

The main ingredient is methylnaltrexone bromide. You might recognize the word "naltrexone." Naltrexone is an opioid blocker used in the treatment of opioid addiction. It's also the same drug, in low-dose form, in low-dose naltrexone, aka LDN. For proponents, LDN is a miracle drug for all kinds of afflictions. In other studies, not proven to be so much.

Relistor is not the same form of naltrexone, which is how it can block the constipating effects without blocking the pain-relieving effects of opioids.

It's important here to NOT start thinking that taking LDN will do the same thing. Since naltrexone is an opioid blocker, LDN stands a good chance of blocking the pain-relieving effects of your opioid medications. That's precisely what it's intended to do. So you'll just be cancelling out the pain relieving effects of your pain meds. Your constipation might get better -- or it might not -- but you won't get pain relief either, so what would be the point of taking either one?

Relistor is an option to ask your doctor about. Since it would be off-label for you, be prepared for your doc to decline to prescribe it. But you won't know unless you ask.

Comment

I'm pretty much in the same boat, although I was constipated even before starting narcs. Things that help me go: coffee & pot. I drink my daily iced coffee religiously & I usually won't go more than 2 days w/o going. I'm okay with that!
        MS dx's 2000
        Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

I've tried everything over 20 years. What works best for me is Fiber Gummies. Sennokot also worked rather well..in a half dose.

My urologist took gummy bears and she said they work rather well. I agree with that! I take 2 daily. If for some reason I've taken more opiates I take an additional fiber gummy.

I just take them conservatively until you know what you need. If they ever switch to those Sour Gummie anythings---not even my dog will touch that sour!

fed up

Comment

Working...
          X