SYMTOMS ON THE RAMPAGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SYMTOMS ON THE RAMPAGE

I have had a bad case of bronchitis for over a week. I have been to the doctor 3 times as late as this morning and have been given crap each time. Today my PCP said there has been no change even I am on the strongest antibiotic known to mankind to use his words.

Due to the bronchitis my MS symptoms have been on the rampage. I've even experienced an odd but new symptom with my lips going numb talk about feel weird.

My question is has anyone else noticed that their symptoms ramp up if they have a prolonged illness? I don't know how much longer this will last but it needs to go away!! This is the sickest I have been in a very long time.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

It sounds like, at the very least, you're having a nasty pseudoexacerbation because of the bronchitis.

MS symptoms commonly flare up during a fever or illness because of the rise in body temperature -- sort of a mega-Uhtoff's phenomenon. That's why the official definition of a true flare/exacerbation/relapse/attack is patient-reported or objectively observed events typical of an acute inflammatory demyelinating event in the CNS, current or historical, with duration of at least 24 hours, in the absence of fever or infection.

In the presence of fever or infection, the symptoms can be attributed to the increase in body temperature. The event isn't a true inflammatory attack, so the exacerbation is pseudo.

The trouble with that is that an infection really can trigger a true inflammatory flare later. I have had a couple of relapses that came on the heels of a simple cold.

The other bummer is that the strongest antibiotics on the planet aren't going to help your bronchitis if it's is viral and not bacterial. If it's viral, you'll just have to ride it out. I hope it doesn't take too long and that you're feeling better soon.

Comment

Hi Waydwnsouth1,

Being sick and having MS is a lousy combination. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Anytime someone with MS gets sick (flu, virus, infection) it is very common for the MS to go haywire. This is what is referred to as a pseudo-exacerbation. Usually once the illness resolves your symptoms will return to what is normal for you.

Take care
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi, This might sound dumb but I see you are on Tec. Has your Doctor checked your white blood cell count? Otherwise you got good advice from the others. Hope you get better soon.
        PEACE

Tortis

Comment

Tortis I have actually been off Tec for quite sometime. I switched to Gilenya after that but that didn't last long so as of now I am on no DMT's.
          Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
          Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
            Tortis I have actually been off Tec for quite sometime. I switched to Gilenya after that but that didn't last long so as of now I am on no DMT's.
            Hi Again, are you feeling any better now. I am going to repeat my dumb question, has your dr. checked your white blood cell count. If I remember right both Tec and Gilenya lower them. Your body may not have repaired its self yet. My wife had this problem without any drug involement.
            Once again I hope you are already feeling better.
            PEACE
            Tortis

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
              ...My question is has anyone else noticed that their symptoms ramp up if they have a prolonged illness? I don't know how much longer this will last but it needs to go away!! This is the sickest I have been in a very long time.
              Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
              It sounds like, at the very least, you're having a nasty pseudoexacerbation because of the bronchitis...
              jreagan's response could be what's happening. But, stress is also notorious for triggering real flares. Emotional stress, "good" stress (ie: anticipating and/or preparing for a happy event), and physical stress (illness, pain, surgery, etc).

So, what you're experiencing could be your "symptoms ramped up", which might simply be caused by a pseudo-exacerbation, and will disappear when your illness goes away.

Or, your symptoms could be ramped up because your illness triggered an actual MS flare.

Either way, I'd inform your neuro about what's going on and see what the medical advice is. It may be recommended that you just wait until the bronchitis is gone to see if your MS symptoms stay, or go away.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X