Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To All Of This, Looking For Insight

Hi All,

I'm a 35 year old wife/mother looking for answers and support. I haven't been diagnosed, not have I been to the doctor. I was looking up what could be a potential cause of back numbness, and after reading up on MS, here I am. I'm on Day 5 of my back being numb in one certain area, but I have/had other symptoms that sound as if MS could be a possibility. I've had depression/anxiety most of my life, and while it was more severe as a teen and less severe into adulthood, I've noticed it's getting progressively worse at this time in my life. I also experience frequent bouts of exhaustion, but I tend to stay tired all the time. I also have a tendency to stay cold, and have issues with restless leg at night. I have had migraines and severe headaches, usually with pain behind my eyes. I've also had vertigo/dizziness. Over the last few months, my cognitive skills and ability to concentrate have diminished. I also sometimes get cramps in my arms and legs, as well as have muscle spasms. My balance is off at times, and sometimes, I catch myself walking into walls as I'm rounding a corner. I've read that having mono could contribute to MS, and I actually had mono 19 years ago. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to go to the doctor. I feel unsure about it. I know that might sound crazy, but going to doctor appointments, having tests ran, etc. isn't something I look forward to. I appreciate any and all feedback.

I don't have the ability to diagnose you through the internet! No one, here, is able to do that. If you are looking for answers on the web, you are making a mistake! I think that you should get all of the tests that your doctor (PCP) thinks are appropriate. Get a CBC and also get your vitamin D tested. Get the vitamin D numbers, not just the doctors word that its OK. Your vitamin D numbers should be above 30 and below 80. The most important point is..be calm, eat right and get the proper sleep. Either way you look at it, you must stay calm and don't panic. After you get all of the proper tests, then you will know where to turn to next. good luck

Comment

Your symptoms certainly could be indicative of MS. But, they could also point to a multitude of other things. There are many illnesses that mimic MS. If you google "differential diagnosis", you'll find a whole list.

Most of us don't like doctor's appointments, but, not going and not getting diagnosed for whatever it is that you have won't make it go away. Getting on a DMD (disease modifying medication) early can, among other things, help delay the progression of MS, if that's what you have.

I recommend making an appointment and beginning the journey to a dx. For some people, MS is diagnosed quickly. For others, diagnosis is difficult and it can take years.

Looking into whether or not you might have a chronic illness can be scary. But, as I said, if you have one, putting off a diagnosis won't make it go away and might give it time to do more damage to your brain.

I strongly encourage making a doctor's appointment soon. Before you go, you may wish to make a list of your symptoms, the approximate dates they occurred and how long they lasted.

Best wishes on your journey.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Go to the dr.!

Believe me, I know how you feel about dr. visits, but it's the only way to find out what is going on and the best way to treat it. Self dx and other people's opinions just doesn't get it. Please, see a dr.

Comment

As others have said, you need to start the ball rolling with a doctor's appointment -- that's the only way you're going to find out what's going on with you.

In the mean time, take care of yourself: eat well, hydrate, exercise to your ability and take your vitamins (especially vitamin D as others have said). Try to include laughter in your day -- perhaps get some books or funny movies from the library. Try not to dwell on what you think it might be.

If you are suffering from a medical condition, you owe it to yourself to find out what it is so you can plan a course of action with your doctor.

Good luck,
          Bree

Comment

the only person that will be able to diagnose you is your doctor, so please, please, please go to him/her. Statistics show that the earlier in the disease that people start treatment, the better the disability in the long run.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thank you all

Thank you all for your insight. I finally bit the bullet and will be seeing my doctor tomorrow. I got to the point that I can't stand myself right now. If I sounded whiny in my initial post, please forgive me. I've spent the last few months helping my mother through a cancer diagnosis, surgery, and follow-up. She's doing great, but it really took its toll on me, especially after being sent to 4 different doctors in 2 states before we were sent to the right one. I'm just really tired most days and the thought of numerous doctor appointments actually makes me cry. I know I have to take care of myself though. I owe it not only to myself, but to my family. Thank you all again.

Comment

Glad you are beginning the process to diagnosis. For some of us, dx came quickly; for others, it is a long road. Here's hoping you'll find out what's going on soon.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                X