Push yourself too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push yourself too much?

Do any of you ever feel the need to push yourself harder than you should? My DH tells me not to mow the lawn, that he will get to it, and he does. But he went out golfing with our sons this evening, I didn't have anything in particular to do but watch some TV, and tomorrow is our anniversary and we are heading out of town to a play. He usually mows on Saturday, and would have gotten up and got it done before we had to leave for the drive.

I thought I'd be nice and start the mowing. Did the front yard and should have stopped and rest, but went on to the much bigger back yard. I was wobbling and hurting something terrible, but I just kept making myself go on just to prove a point to myself I guess. I got it done, but I'm hurting now. My DH will be grateful, but i'm sure he will also chastise me .

Do any of you ever feel the need to push too hard just to let yourself think you're not as bad as you are with this disease? I don't do it often, but sometimes.....
    Brenda
    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

I always push myself too hard, have before and after my MS diagnosis. My doctors and PT all tell me I shouldn't be working and should be using a scooter. I just have to keep pushing, don't know what else to do until I'm completely unable to function. I'm afraid if I slow down I'll stop functioning. Especially since I feel that pretty bad every day. Scares me to death

Comment

I'm probably on the lazy side of the spectrum but, when I'm trying to finish something, I hit a point that I'm spinning my wheels. The harder I try, the more mistakes I make. I just had an experience recently that I cannot write about right now, but I got myself near dead from pushing it too hard.

Comment

Yes...I do and it is really stupid.

I fell with the lawn mower on four different occassions. It took me almost getting my leg torn off before I hired someone (husband is no longer in the picture).

I know exactly what my limitations are both physically and mentally. And if I push the envelope, I either end up hurt or in a flare.

I am getting better at defining boundries and setting limits...but I certainly am still a work in progress! Sounds like you might be as well.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi 4boysmom,

Do any of you ever feel the need to push too hard just to let yourself think you're not as bad as you are with this disease?
          I do and have always, pushed my limits. It's not that I am unrealistic about my limitations, it's just a want within myself to live a life that is as close to normal as I can get. I know when I push my limits I will pay for it later, but I don't care ( I know, in the end, I will be okay).

My limits and pushing them is all about my legs and mobility. For this reason there are things that I will not do. One of those "I will not do" is mowing. It was mowing that started my diagnostic journey to MS.

Take care!
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

yep

I definitely find myself pushing too hard, but one thing I don't do is mow the yard - that scares me. I push it by trying to cook, do laundry, clean, etc. when I should get off my feet and rest. I pay for it, big time, but sometimes I just feel like such a useless slug. So I keep pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by AriD View Post
              I always push myself too hard, have before and after my MS diagnosis. My doctors and PT all tell me I shouldn't be working and should be using a scooter. I just have to keep pushing, don't know what else to do until I'm completely unable to function. I'm afraid if I slow down I'll stop functioning. Especially since I feel that pretty bad every day. Scares me to death
              Yup this exactly. Good, bad or indifferent I'm going to keep going at breakneck speed until I just can't. I feel like I'm being chased by a monster which in a very real way I guess we all are.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

OK. Here's a different answer from most of you. No; I don't push myself too hard.
                • I hire a housekeeper once every two weeks. I could do it myself, but, I've always hated housekeeping and never did a good job of keeping up with it in the past. If i did it myself, it would take a lot of self-discipline and it would likely require two weeks of many 10-20 minute sessions. By the time, one part of the house was clean, the next would be dirty and messy. I've actually found that, since hiring a housekeeper, I spend more time keeping things picked up than I used to. My home used to be dirty and cluttered. Now, I pick up the clutter so it can be cleaned.
                • We eat frequent meals out; daily isn't unusual. And, often leftovers in between. We keep snack foods and a few groceries on hand, and my adult son lives at home and often cooks for himself. I've discovered that, groceries are expensive enough that for just my husband and myself, although it costs more to eat out than it does to eat at home, the difference is not as significant as I expected it to be. We do very little fast food, but, we use coupons and have some reasonably priced places to eat around here.
                • I like to have about one room per year painted in my house. I hire a local high school or college student to do it. I've often used the same one, year after year. Is much more reasonably priced than hiring a professional and she does a good job.
                • I've never been one to do outdoor chores, so my husband continues to do that. My son helps with some of that.
                • I take care of most of the finances and picking up clutter around the house. I load the dishwasher; my son unloads it.

Taking care of myself and not pushing myself too hard is important for my health. I don't feel guilty for taking my Copaxone, so I don't feel guilty for spending a little extra money on cleaning and meals.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Here's what I have been facing this week.

Last Sunday I went to the E/R. My intestines had spontaneously twisted causing unbearable pain. They eventually relaxed themselves. Then 2 days later my husband got sick and I had to take him to the E/R. He was admitted and had a very risky surgery and is still in the Hospital.

So, whenever I am left to my own devices I feel the need to do way to much. I have been trying to keep up with Sam's garden and the chickens and the cleaning and taking the trash to the dumpster and I always try to throw out a lot of stuff he won't let me get rid of when he's around. Junk... crap... old dirty stuff we don't use or need. He is a packrat.

So, yes I am wearing myself out. My balance is off and I am dizzy. But I just keep going. I've made several trips to take the trash away today. Keep finding more. And I can only handle very small things or small amounts at one time so I have to do this in many trips. It's like my mind won't let me stop because I know I only have a few days window of opportunity.

I hate it that I can't do what I used to be able to do. I think that's typical of all of us. So I'll go to bed with a sore back and a mind that won't quit. And it seems when I get like this... hyper... I don't take care of myself. Skip meds... just keep going. Not good. And it's HOT here.
                  Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

It is so nice to read that there are many others out there like me! It is nice to see that even though we may be slow, we do keep trying! I don't know if pushing ourselves is the "best medicine", but I think we all handle it the best that we can.

Hang in there everyone, and do step back from the pushing sometimes and give yourselves a pat on the back!
                    Brenda
                    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
                    X