Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what should I do with two months of an expired MS pill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what should I do with two months of an expired MS pill?

I tried googling my question but didn't come up with an answer, hope someone here can direct me to an organization (not an individual) who can take two months worth of a very expensive tablet that didn't work for me.

It has a very arbitrary expiration date of Nov 2014, but has been kept in a relatively cool room.

I would ask your neuro about this. And as a word of caution for everyone, our guideline #8 states:

"It is illegal to transfer prescription items of any kind to anyone other than the person for whom the prescription is written. Members are not allowed to offer to give or sell prescription medicines, devices, or any other types of prescriptions to others via MSWorld."

Maybe someone here has disposed of unused meds and can make other suggestions.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

You could also try calling your local NMSS Society to see if they have someone to pass it on to. Or, attend an MS support group and ask there.

As Seasha says, it is illegal to transfer prescription items of any kind to anyone other than the person for whom the prescription is written. However, I understand you not wanting to discard something so expensive, especially if someone else is already prescribed the same thing and it could save them a few dollars.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I suggest that you ask your PCP or neurologist that question. I have had to drop them by my PCP's office. You can also call your local pharmacy to dispose of them. Good luck

Comment

Just give it to your pharmacist, they will get rid of it. Which is what you should do with all kinds of leftover medication. Unfortunately there are people that throw them out in the toilet which is not good.

Comment

You can ask at your pharmacy if they take expired or unwanted meds. It seems like an easy thing to do, but they might not take them.

My medical center pharmacy doesn't take old meds or sharps containers. It's a huge expense for them, with lots of regulations involved, so they've decided to be responsible for only their own medical waste. They direct their patients to the local hazardous waste center.

If your pharmacy or doctor won't take your old meds, check with your city or county for disposal instructions. Governments love regulations, so every local government has rules for disposing of drugs and medical waste. They'll tell you exactly what to do.

Comment

Unfortunately, it can't be transferred. No one wants to assume the liability that it was stored right, not tampered with, etc... So unless you know someone personally, it has to be disposed of. I know a number of police stations in our area accept pills, but not injectables.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Many good points already made here - also fda.gov has info on "prescription disposal".

Comment

Working...
                X