Facing Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facing Surgery

I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy on Aug. 4th, and it has me kind of scared. Well,okay, really scared. Just having a neuro and a family doctor visit in the same day caused me a flare up that landed me in the hospital for 5 weeks. ( 4 of them in rehab ) What is surgery going to do? I' appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had surgery after their MS dx.

Hi Patti!

i found out I had MS in December and I had surgery for a hernia in February. They used a special anesthesia they reserve for MS patients (I didn't even know that existed!) so make sure you tell the anesthesiologist you have MS. All went well except for bowel issues that lasted for a month afterwards. I guess what I'm saying is DON'T WORRY! :-) All will go well and you'll be back in the swing of things before you know it. Hysterectomy surgery is relatively routine anymore, may even be outpatient! You got this!
    "It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

Sorry to hear you need surgery. This information might help you feel a bit better about it: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...ia-and-Surgery

Please let us know how everything goes and best of luck.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Patti, I'm sorry to hear that you're facing surgery. I just wanted to tell you about my experience in hopes that you will not be as scared!

I had my first episode of MS symptoms (double vision) in March 2013 and then was officially diagnosed in Oct 2014. In late Nov 2014, I had surgery for pelvic organ prolapse, so pretty similar to what you're going to have done. I had an epidural and was sedated throughout the procedure. I had been given epidurals before when I had my kids, so I knew what to expect.

Surgery went well, and recovery went smoothly too. I did have some slight on and off issues with the double vision for a few days after the surgery, but it did not last and wasn't a constant for 24 hours or more and so couldn't be considered a flare.

My only issue is that the surgery while "mostly" successful, wasn't completely successful, so I have to go back in for surgery again next week. Since the last surgery experience was not bad, I'm hoping that this will be similar.

If the unknown of surgery is stressing you out, then I would make sure you have someone with you at the pre-surgical consultation. Make sure you have your questions written out beforehand and then make sure you understand the dr's answers. You may also need to get cleared for surgery through the hospital, at which point, you will meet with the anesthesiologist and they should be able to answer any other questions you have as well. They take your complete history during this time and it's helpful to have a pre-printed list of medications, vitamins, etc. that you take to give to them.

If you want some emotional support for the type of surgery that you are having--you didn't mention your age, but it can be a very emotional thing--you can google "hyster sisters." They have so much information about the surgery and recovery as well as support if you need it!

Most of all, try not to stress over it--all WILL be well. You will be okay!! If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Comment

Hi Patti. I had a hysterectomy about 6 years ago because of endometrial cancer. I didn't have any neurological problems, but my MS symptoms weren't very bad back then, and because I'm PPMS, I don't have relapses. So I'm not the best person to go by.

I did have some neurological problems after a hip replacement I had about 7 months ago, and after, my surgeon said that can happen with MS. But again, I'm probably not like you. I bet it will be OK. Please let us know how it goes.
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

Originally posted by hsmaldo View Post
            Hi Patti, I'm sorry to hear that you're facing surgery. I just wanted to tell you about my experience in hopes that you will not be as scared!

I had my first episode of MS symptoms (double vision) in March 2013 and then was officially diagnosed in Oct 2014. In late Nov 2014, I had surgery for pelvic organ prolapse, so pretty similar to what you're going to have done. I had an epidural and was sedated throughout the procedure. I had been given epidurals before when I had my kids, so I knew what to expect.

Surgery went well, and recovery went smoothly too. I did have some slight on and off issues with the double vision for a few days after the surgery, but it did not last and wasn't a constant for 24 hours or more and so couldn't be considered a flare.

My only issue is that the surgery while "mostly" successful, wasn't completely successful, so I have to go back in for surgery again next week. Since the last surgery experience was not bad, I'm hoping that this will be similar.

If the unknown of surgery is stressing you out, then I would make sure you have someone with you at the pre-surgical consultation. Make sure you have your questions written out beforehand and then make sure you understand the dr's answers. You may also need to get cleared for surgery through the hospital, at which point, you will meet with the anesthesiologist and they should be able to answer any other questions you have as well. They take your complete history during this time and it's helpful to have a pre-printed list of medications, vitamins, etc. that you take to give to them.
            Hi Patti,

I had a hysterectomy and also the same surgery that hsmaldo had ( prolapse repair ))...just as a side note, women with MS have a predisposition for pelvic prolapse due to weakened pelvic muscles.

I've also had 3 surgeries related to my baclofen pump. My experience with MS and surgery was that the surgery and recovery were unremarkable. I didn't have a relapse, I thing my recuperation might have been a little slower but maybe not. As someone mentioned, ,ake sure you tell the anesthesiologist about the MS..MSers sometimes have a different reaction to the anesthesia. I, personally, never had a problem with it.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

PS someone mentioned hystersisters website...it's a great website to help with info and comraderie before, during and after a hysterectomy.

Comment

I had orthoscopic knee surgery 6 weeks ago. It has gone very well in my recovery. There was only one difference in my surgery than what had been planned. I had been told by the orthopedist office that I would have anesthesia and a nerve block. In meeting the anesthesiologist on the day of surgery she said she would not be doing the nerve block because of my MS. I did not ask any further questions about it.
              MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

Thanks!

I'm feeling better now, especially after seeing that several of you had prolapses - that is the reason for my surgery. Thanks for the website, I will be 60 next month, with 2 grown children, so the loss of my uterus is not a big deal. It's just.....surgery. The most serious thing I've ever had is wisdom teeth removal, and not knowing what to expect from the MS on top of that. This has had me kind of edgy, so thanks again for the responses, they really helped!

Comment

Hi Patti, I had a total right hip replacement last August. I too was concerned about the surgery. My concerns were about anesthesia. When it was time for the anesthesia, the doctor told me the same thing he told an earlier poster...I would get anesthesia, but no nerve block because of the MS. All went well.

All the best with your surgery.

Comment

Is an epidural

a nerve block?

Comment

Hi its2much,

The main difference between the two would be where the medicine was injected. With an epidural, medicine is injected into the epidural space, which is outside the membrane where cerebrospinal fluid is located. With a spinal block, medicine is injected directly into the cerebrospinal fluid.

Here are two links describing spinal anesthesia (aka a spinal block) and epidural anesthesia:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/007413.htm

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/e...topic-overview

Hope this helps.
                      Last edited by Kimba22; 07-20-2015, 02:27 AM.
                      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

several

I have had several surgeries since my MS diagnosis.

2 neck surgeries (one at the base of my skull where the brain begins and very serious)
                        a infection that lead to two surgeries three days apart
                        double mastectomy
                        and lastly a hysterectomy at the beginning of this year.

Each year my MS has progressed some. So, each surgery it took a little bit more effort to recover. It did not put me in any flair, but, all my symptoms where slightly worsened. Each was a full recovery to pre-surgery status.

Make sure that you move after surgery. That means get up and sit in the chair and walk, and rest as much as you can. Do not lay in bed the whole time and not get the movement that you need. If you need a cane or walker to move, then use it. I have a walker,but, use it only for long distances. But, this last surgery I needed it right after surgery for all walking. But, by the time I left the hospital I did not need it. But, I was up every hour and walking. At first it was just to the doorway in the room. But, walked out of the hospital when I left. But, also, remember to rest and sleep, along with the movement, to let yourself heal.
                        God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Tues. is the big day!

And I'm really getting nervous! Tomorrow I have pre-ops most of the day, and surgery on Tues., so I probably will not be on here for a while. Good thoughts please!

Comment

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and Tuesday, Patti, and sending good energy and prayers your way!
                            When you have recovered and feel up to it, let us know how you're doing!
                            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

(hugs)

Just prayed for your health and recovery, praying you stay flare free. Give us an update when you can. We will be thinking of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X