Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can drinking alcohol actually cause a relapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can drinking alcohol actually cause a relapse?

Hi everyone I'm a 30+ female who was diagnosed with RRMS in 2013. My onset relapse that led to diagnosis was fairly severe, but all of the symptoms went away and I have been basically symptomfree for these past couple of years.

The relapse in 2013 began right after I drank alcohol. The hangover was really bad and I was extremely fatigued for days afterwards. I just thought wow, this is the worst hangover ever.. I use alcohol very rarely, only about two or three times a year.

The hangover didn't go away, but got worse during the following days, and I finally ended up being unable to walk and had numbness, vertigo, double vision etc. I had to be hospitalized for two weeks. I had an MRI of the central nervous system and a lumbar punction and got diagnosed with MS. I received cortisone too. The symptoms went away in a little over a month.

I haven't had relapses after that and take Betaferon (Betaseron in some countries) for my MS. I have used alcohol 2-3 times a year after the diagnosis, so nothing has changed in that sense.

Two days ago I was out with my friends and had several drinks during 8 hours; probably eight drinks, one per hour. Yesterday I had a hangover, and today I've been really fatigued. I just sleep and have to lie in bed. I don't have other symptoms for now, but I'm just so scared to think this is a beginning of another relapse! I'm so scared about waking up tomorrow morning, b/c what if I'm still not over with the hangover fatigue and it just keeps getting worse and worse and I end up in a hospital again..

I haven't found any information on whether drinking alcohol can actually cause a relapse in MS. But if this turnes out to be a relapse, then it's quite sure there's a connection b/c I use alcohol so rarely that it can't be just a coincidence.

Do you guys have knowledge on this? Or do you have experiences about a connection between alcohol and a relapse?

I once asked my MS nurse about lifestyle choices and MS and she said smoking is bad, but it was almost like she was avoiding commenting on alcohol although having some information on it. It was so weird that it now makes me think is there maybe some controversy about this amongst the medical professionals..

Anyways, these are my questions. Thanks

Hi Hannah7,

I doubt Alcohol would cause an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up).

My guess is the combination of MS and alcohol are not a good mix for you or you drank too much and you have a hang over. Alcohol and the hangover's they can cause can leave one feeling quite tired. If you add in MS fatigue, well, it is only going to be worse

Alcohol affects the Central Nervous System (CNS). Multiple Sclerosis is a disease of the CNS. For this reason some do not tolerate alcohol and have difficulties when drinking.

You would also need to be aware of the medications you take and any interaction warnings about drinking alcohol with them.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I definitely see a connection between me drinking and MS symptoms. My walking is always a bit off the day after I have a drink, even just one. Not a relapse, just aggravated symptoms for a day.

Comment

I would think that anyone who drinks only a couple times a year and then drink 8 drinks in one night is in for some serious hurting the next day or two...MS or not.

I have one drink...I am high. Two drinks...Good Night.

I think you were experiencing a major hangover and it might have exacerbated some of your MS symptoms. Hopefully everything is right as rain now. It sounds like alcohol might not be very good fit for you.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

drinking alcohol will affect your motor skills, MS will affect your motor skills, the two combined can be very frightening, not to mention dangerous. I am not saying do not have anything to drink, I am saying that you need to know how the alcohol combined with the MS will affect you.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Before my diagnosis when I didn't know I had MS but I suspected it whenever I would drink I would get dizzy and after the sober up period I would still be dizzy for a while when I normally should not be. Then just this past new years eve right before the relapse that changed my life, I drank, not a lot and I felt the nerve twitches around my mouth. Looking back over the 5 years I had MS and I didn't know when I drank I felt odd things. So now I'm afraid to drink with the symptoms I have now.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies Now that it's day six after the drinking, I suppose it's safe to say that I got away with only a scare. I began to feel better (normal) finally yesterday and was relieved.

So it wasn't a real relapse, but definately alcohol induced symptom worsening. I'm seriously considering giving up drinking completely... I'll give it a try once more, but with smaller amount. And it's not going to be any time soon...

Comment

Hi Hannah7,

I'm seriously considering giving up drinking completely... I'll give it a try once more, but with smaller amount.
                A smaller amount would be a very good idea

I rarely drink, but I will have, or try to have, a drinks once in a blue moon. Since MS my reaction to alcohol has been...interesting.

There have been times I can have a drink or 2 and except for a worsening of my balance I do fine. Other times, I will have a sip or two and start to feel very warm and flushed then nauseas. This can also start to happen with half a drink. There have been those times where I can have a drink without any adverse reaction but I am very cautious when choosing to have a drink as I never know how my body will react.

Take care!
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I noticed I gradually became intolerant of alcohol a few years before my diagnosis with RRMS at age 35. Now, if I have even a few sips of alcohol I get terrible vertigo, SVT, nausea, cold sweats...and a terrible, terrible hangover akin to influenza for 2-3 days afterward. Funnily enough, I still cook with alcohol--but I either flame or cook the active principal away
                  RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Hangover = Dehyration

This thread is so interesting! It's been a long time since I've had a hangover. (Although I still drink wine, age and MS has meant "moderation" in the extreme. LOL) But I remember from my youth that being hungover from drinking too much felt like a thirsty state.

With my MS, even a little bit of dehydration can cause my symptoms to soar. For example, the other day I had to hurry through my lunchtime to get to the grocery store and didn't really drink my usual amount of water or much of any other beverage. That grocery store trip was a nightmare. Even hanging on the cart, I could barely move, and I became extremely tired right away. I also noticed I was so so thirsty. It was a familiar feeling. I recall many other times during which my symptoms seemed to be unaccountably bad and with a rapid onset were also times during which I was dehydrated for one reason or another. And it didn't take much.

So, it makes sense to me that alcohol, which I know has a dehydrating effect, can cause symptoms to "flare."

Stay lifted
                    Mermaid
                    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

I think the dehydration in addition to the alcohol's effect on the nervous system is a bad combo! And I'm finding that caffeine is also very bad. I usually drink tea but I've been on a little bit of a coffee kick this summer and can barely take the effect of one strong cup. Shaking hands, can barely write etc. If I find out that candy is bad for my MS I'm just going to give up

Comment

I don't think a drink or two will cause a relapse. Or even a very occasional drink too many.

You're more likely to hurt yourself tripping over if you are feeling a wee tad tipsy, so best avoided.

Then we Australians are bigger drinkers. Watch a U.S. soap and someone has two glasses of wine and next episode they're off to AA.

Comment

Working...
                        X