Is it possible to become lazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to become lazy?

I have been diagnosed since 2000. Ups and downs. Yes I know what the fatigue/pain is like. However, I am wondering lately. Have I just become lazy? I Plan and make lists however OFTEN I am just not (willing/able) to make myself get up and do anything. Notes: had approx 17 surgeries including rods, metal, replacements etc etc. migraines and am soon to be 68. I recently putty, sand, painted numerous doors at mil house (taking several time outs due to being overheated/can only work about 30 minutes before drowning due to heat even in 70 degree weather).

Therapist I saw recently said she was amazed I was able to do as many and much as I do with my health. However, as a type A person I am totally disgusted with self that many days pass with me doing nothing.

Thoughts anyone?
    Judy

I know what you mean Judy. My schedule is so busy, too busy for how I'm feeling. I was at my neuro appointment a couple of months ago and she asked if one of the medical residents could sit in and do the exam. Her office is at the hospital I work at and I knew the resident but oh well. I agreed to let him be there.
    He does my exam then asks how I got to my appointment. I told him I drove then walked up. He says "you can walk? Your legs are extremely weak". I said " uh, you work in the ICU with me. You see me walk. You just never knew how hard it was for me to walk".
    Then after "running" ( can't run anymore) around and doing too much I have a day of reprieve. That day I just can't get myself up and going, despite the list of things I have planned or need to do around the house. Then I feel lazy. I think our bodies just stop and say you need a complete break. No functioning of any kind today. And...My list never gets accomplished. It sounds like you do a lot, all that hard physical labor takes a toll on you. You need your break too.
    I think its okay to be "lazy". Let's you recoup for the week ahead.

Comment

You're not lazy. You are like the rest of us.... too much MS... not enough energy. It kills me that I can't do what I used to be able to do. Used to be fast at everything. Now I'm like a bottle of molasses.

I don't feel guilty about it. But I am depressed over this loss of momentum. Nothing is fun anymore. Nothing excites me. No life.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

This disease does horrible things to our heads, and I don't mean just lesions. I've actually caught myself thinking that if I just tried harder, I wouldn't have bladder accidents. I feel guilty for what I'm "doing to" my family. I feel shame because I can't come up with the right words in the right order for what I'm thinking.

I know that all of those thoughts are irrational, but there you are. So you're not alone in having those feelings, but no, I don't believe that you've become lazy.
        PPMS
        Dx 07/13

Comment

Hi,
          Let me ask you this. If it was anybody but you, would you think they were lazy?
          Probably not. You know what MS does to our bodies. It's unfair, but it's our new reality.
          Use your Type A planning & plan rest time for yourself. That's not a luxury anymore, that's a requirement. If it's planned, you'll feel better about taking that rest time.
          "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
          Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Working...
          X