X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 Things Not to Say to Someone Who Has a Chronic Illness

Saw this on MSN...it gave me a nice little giggle, thought I'd share:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medi...AAcIQFm#page=1

Thanks S 31 - this is spot on and have heard many of these remarks before!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...hronic+illness

Just thought I would post this so you knew that this was already a topic, for more answers, you may want to look here.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Oh yeah, I've heard many of these also.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

I almost wish people would say dumb things, it gives me something to respond to with a little fun and ire. Most people have reacted with a deer in the headlights look, and I'm sure they are thinking "oh dear Lord, what am I going to say"...which makes me feel like they think I'm dying.

Or they get that scared, pitying look, thinking "oh dear Lord, what am I going to say"...which makes me feel like they think I'm dying.

So, thus far, I mostly just respond to them right away..."I'm not dying". Then I end up comforting them.

Comment

The worst is when they assume you are drunk and there is nothing you can say or do to dissuade them.

Comment

Originally posted by KSeraSera View Post
              I almost wish people would say dumb things, it gives me something to respond to with a little fun and ire. Most people have reacted with a deer in the headlights look, and I'm sure they are thinking "oh dear Lord, what am I going to say"...which makes me feel like they think I'm dying.

Or they get that scared, pitying look, thinking "oh dear Lord, what am I going to say"...which makes me feel like they think I'm dying.

So, thus far, I mostly just respond to them right away..."I'm not dying". Then I end up comforting them.
              I kind of feel sorry for people. What can they say? Really?
              They're down to "I'm sorry", or "But you look really good".

Pull that wheelie-walker out and I swear sympathy comes to the table.

Comment

Working...
              X