Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drugs that activate brain stem cells may reverse multiple sclerosis

Warning - more research is needed!

Dr. Tesar and his colleagues caution that more research is needed before miconazole and clobetasol can be tested in multiple sclerosis clinical trials. They are currently approved for use as creams or powders on the surfaces of the body but their safety administered in other forms, such as injections, in humans is unknown.

Two drugs already on the market — an antifungal and a steroid — may potentially take on new roles as treatments for multiple sclerosis. According to a study published in Nature today, researchers discovered that these drugs may activate stem cells in the brain to stimulate myelin producing cells and repair white matter, which is damaged in multiple sclerosis. The study was partially funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), part of the National Institutes of Health.

Scientists found that certain drugs were able to promote remyelination in mouse models of multiple sclerosis. Image courtesy of Case Western Reserve University; Illustrator: Megan Kern
    Specialized cells called oligodendrocytes lay down multiple layers of a fatty white substance known as myelin around axons, the long “wires” that connect brain cells. Myelin acts as an insulator and enables fast communication between brain cells. In multiple sclerosis there is breakdown of myelin and this deterioration leads to muscle weakness, numbness and problems with vision, coordination and balance.

“To replace damaged cells, the scientific field has focused on direct transplantation of stem cell-derived tissues for regenerative medicine, and that approach is likely to provide enormous benefit down the road. We asked if we could find a faster and less invasive approach by using drugs to activate native nervous system stem cells and direct them to form new myelin. Our ultimate goal was to enhance the body’s ability to repair itself,” said Paul J. Tesar, Ph.D., associate professor at Case Western Reserve School of Medicine in Cleveland, and senior author of the study.

It is unknown how myelin-producing cells are damaged, but research suggests they may be targeted by malfunctioning immune cells and that multiple sclerosis may start as an autoimmune disorder. Current therapies for multiple sclerosis include anti-inflammatory drugs, which help prevent the episodic relapses common in multiple sclerosis, but are less effective at preventing long-term disability. Scientists believe that therapies that promote myelin repair might improve neurologic disability in people with multiple sclerosis.

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/apr2015/ninds-20.htm

Geez, Marco. I missed this until today. Thanks for the info. It seems like 'another promising' clue to this MyStery. Good stuff!

Comment

Just a quick comment on the miconizole.....I started using this because I don't have a lot of movement in my foot including my toes and with the warm weather I'm sure something would started between the toes.

I used the miconizole to avoid this.....not knowing about this possibility .... and one night almost freaked when I could separate my toes without help!

Can't wait to hear more.

Comment

Clobetasol Info

While I was at Cleveland Clinic yesterday, I asked my neuro if he has heard anything about the Clobetasol research project. He said unfortunately, the research so far has shown it causes brain shrinkage, and causes the lesions to get bigger. However, he said the research people are still working on it. Then he said, "Don't give up on it yet. It may still be possible."

I told him, "I don't have much hope of anything being available in my lifetime to cure or restore damage from MS. But if you need a guinea pig, that's me. At this point it will either cure me or kill me and I don't much care which."

Some days it's hard to be even a little bit hopeful, but I am trying.
        Echo
        DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Echo even if that is true, the working mechanism may point to another research point. If drug X causes an increase in lesion size and decrease in brain size then reversing the drug could have the opposite impact.

Comment

Working...
          X