Boils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boils

After being on Avonex for 9 years, I decided it was time for a change. I was still getting flu like symptoms after all that time, although not as severe as the beginning. My husband and I were beginning to dread Friday nights (shot night). I switched to Plegridy but felt that I wasn't doing as well on that as I had with the Avonex. While on Plegridy, I noticed I was getting some very painful "pimples". I coughed them up to infected bug bites. After speaking with my neuro, we decided to try Tecfidera (I never mentioned the "pimples" to him since I really didn't think they had anything to do with the medication). During the transition from Plegridy to Tecfidera, the "pimples" went away. Now that I have been on Plegridy for almost 3 weeks, I noticed the "pimples" coming back. I showed my daughter, who is in the medical field, one of the "pimples". She informed me that it was not a pimple but a boil. When doing some research for me, she discovered that Tecfidera could cause a staph infection. I am calling my neuro this morning but was wondering if anyone else had this side effect from either of the medications. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Carol

Hi Carol, it's Maggie. I got a boil right between my inner thigh and my--best way to put this? pubic area when I was on Tysabri (5 months).

It grew, became red and fiery hot, and needed to be lanced, and because of the location draining and healing were difficult.

I did go off of Tysabri, at my neurologist's urging, because after every infusion I would get an infection--a UTI every month, then strep for 2 months, and then the boil. Prophylactic antibiotics didn't work.

I know Tysabri isn't one of the medications you've mentioned, but I did want to tell you I experienced this side effect, and after going off Tysabri I haven't had another boil (thank goodness)!

Good luck to you!

Maggie

Comment

Hearing these things makes me thing of Job in the Bible. You want to say, "Isn't MS by itself enough?"

It makes me laugh, luckily!
      Brenda
      Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
      X