My Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Face

Keeps twitching. It started in my upper lip and moved to my lower lip. Now I'm twitching under my eye as well. It isn't painful...there is no numbness.... It's just annoying. I can even see it happening when I look in the mirror.

i was diagnosed in February and am takin ReBif right now. Could this be a sign that Bell's Palsy may happen? So far my only symptom has been optic neuritis in December. Coincidentally, this all started right around the same time as when I got the flu/cold.

thanks for any feedback!
    "It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

This happens to me when I get PMS (when all my MS stuff gets worse). It goes away, sometimes also I feel like someone is taking a needle and poking me gently but rapidly on my top right lip.

Comment

I have this on and off without any rhyme or reason in my eyelids , and also in my forearm. I've never had Bell's palsy. I have taken Avonex, Tysabri, and
      Copaxone. I cannot remember what I was on (DMT) when I had the twitches.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi DPL2014,

Facial twitches (hemifacial spasms) can just be another annoying MS Symptom.

Have had both, and much prefer the twitches!
        Last edited by Kimba22; 06-26-2015, 11:40 PM.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I have had MS for 15 years and only recently started getting facial twitches. One weird twitch I get is inside my ear like my ear drum is fluttering! I find that for me the twitches happen most when I am over heated, over tired, or stressed. I had Bell's palsy when I was younger. No twitches with that just a drooping of one side of my face. The twitching can be on and off for a week sometimes. I also have optic neuritis but I don't think it is related to the twitches personally. Best of luck!

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm a researcher by nature and when I looked up hemifacial spasms it's almost exactly what I'm experiencing! SO glad to have a name for what's happening. It comes for about a minute about 5-7 times a day. Knowledge is power and at least I'll know what to call this at my next neurologist appt.

would you all label it an exacerbation? Symptom? I'm still not totally clear on MS terminology. I started Rebif in April but if it isn't slowing progression then I don't want to waste time on it. Already decided Tecfidera will be next if this doesn't pan out. MRI scheduled for July to see what's up.

thanks again.
            "It matters not how strait the gate,
            How charged with punishments the scroll,
            I am the master of my fate,
            I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

Hi DPL20014,

Since it's a transient symptom, lasting only seconds to minutes, it's not an exacerbation.

To be a true exacerbation, the attack must last at least 24 hours and be separated from the previous attack by at least 30 days. You can read more here: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tre...aging-Relapses

The main purpose of Rebif and other DMT's is to decrease the number and severity of MS attacks and reduce the formation of new lesions. By doing that, it can slow disease progression.

Unfortunately, disease progression can still manifest itself years down the road into clinical symptoms, because of past damage that has already occurred.

You can read more here: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Nat...edications.pdf

We all so wish there was a crystal ball, or test, to let us know how effective each one of these drugs will be for us. Best of luck on Rebif!
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
              X