New VA Dr said i was wasting his time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New VA Dr said i was wasting his time

I went to the V A to see if I could see a neurologist. I told the new primary care that I have Ms and he told me I was wasting his time. He didn't have the MRI reports or even my symptoms. He didn't even give me a chance to tell him what is going on. And the last time I was at the VA they refused to even find out what was wrong so I went outside the VA and then found out about the MS. I have almost an perfect list of MS symptoms unfortunately and many flairups and remissions or whatever its called and Mri shows 5 lesions. What does he think I wanna be this way ?

Now I don't even wanna find a neurologist because im so sick of drs id rather just live with it. I cant even remember when I was diagnosed, my brain doesn't work but I think 1 1/2 yrs ago?
    My biggest problem is the fatigue, I can do minor stuff for about 3 or 4 hours then im shot for the day, but its better then it was.
    I don't know what to do. what happens if I don't see a dr and just let nature take its course? Oh well that's probably what ill do. Im to tired to find a good dr. I finally found a pain dr for my back and that's a 4 hour drive each way. I can only do that about 1 time a month. no questions from me I guess I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem? thanks.

I answered your post in the General Forum Section.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by twasabug View Post
      I went to the V A to see if I could see a neurologist. I told the new primary care that I have Ms and he told me I was wasting his time. He didn't have the MRI reports or even my symptoms. He didn't even give me a chance to tell him what is going on. And the last time I was at the VA they refused to even find out what was wrong so I went outside the VA and then found out about the MS. I have almost an perfect list of MS symptoms unfortunately and many flairups and remissions or whatever its called and Mri shows 5 lesions. What does he think I wanna be this way ?

Now I don't even wanna find a neurologist because im so sick of drs id rather just live with it. I cant even remember when I was diagnosed, my brain doesn't work but I think 1 1/2 yrs ago?
      My biggest problem is the fatigue, I can do minor stuff for about 3 or 4 hours then im shot for the day, but its better then it was.
      I don't know what to do. what happens if I don't see a dr and just let nature take its course? Oh well that's probably what ill do. Im to tired to find a good dr. I finally found a pain dr for my back and that's a 4 hour drive each way. I can only do that about 1 time a month. no questions from me I guess I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem? thanks.
      I had the same thing happen to me. Only the Neurologist told me there was nothing wrong with my head and tried to cancel the brain and spine MRI....you know the one that actually showed not only lesions but spinal cord compression in my neck.

All hell broke loose. I threatened a congressional after I contacted the patient advocate of the facility I went to. I would suggest that you start with your patient advocate and if they are not responsive (because many of them are pretty overworked or utterly useless) to you, you may need to write your congressman to light a fire under your facility to get you the care that you need.

After I had done this, I got a new Neurologist at another facility. A responsive one at that.

Comment

T-Bug....

Been there done that.

Sent to shrinks inmid 80s for complaining something else was wrong. Took NONE VA doc open MS can-o-worms in 2009 to get VA 2 test.

Took congressman and msg to VA's wonder-woman to get claim done

Comment

I cannot comment to many of these posts because it causes me much grief.

In every VA medical facility there should be a patient advocate. I would suggest you contact the patient advocate and inform them of what is going on. Veterans are not wasting the time of the VA medical professionals, we are the reason they are employed. If they do not want to take care of veterans then they need a new job. You can also talk to the Chief of Neurology or hospital administration. There's no guarantee they will do anything, but your complaint may keep the next veteran from receiving the same care.e

They also need to understand we are not normal or we wouldn't be there. MS patients often have cognitive, psychological and other issues that prevent us from responding in a completely normal manner.

Comment

My husband, a Vietnam Vet, 101st Airborne went to a VA in 1996. After being treated for back pain over and over, the last Neiro said to come back when he couldn't walk anymore, he finally went to a private doctor. He watched him walk for oh about 10 seconds, ordered a MRI of his brain and cervical area and diagnosed MS. He struggled with VA care for ten years.

Not every VA person is unfeeling or incompetent. He has wonderful care and attention in some areas. Keep fighting and yes, get in touch with the patient advocate. Our servicemen past and present are valuable treasures of this country and deserve the very best care.
            Husband Dx'd in 2006. Currently on Tysabri, Gabapentin, Ampyra, Baclofen..

Comment

Working...
            X