Flying with a wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with a wheelchair

Hi. I use a w/c to get around my house and most places in life as I cannot walk. I can still stand and pivot though which is helpful in many situations. I want to take a 3 hour flight alone. This will be the first time I've been on a plane since using a w/c. I'm hoping someone can tell me what to expect and any tips from prior experience. I will google search, but am asking here too.

What will they do w/ my w/c? I doubt it will fit down a normal plane aisle. Will they put me in a temporary chair? I'm guessing I will pay extra to transport my w/c? Are there airlines you have had good or bad luck with? Thanks in advance!

hi whatismyname!
    i have had wonderful experiences flying alone in my manual w/c. i didn't see if yours is manual or electric. either way, you can take your own w/c on airplane.

when you book your ticket be sure and designate that you have a disability, mobility issue. be specific about your w/c, tell them you will need assistance at the airport. this is very handy if you are being dropped off at the airport.

you will be met at the sidewalk by one of your airlines reps (at least, SW does. i don't fly on any others). they push you and help you through all the process of getting boarding pass, through security (they will examine your chair thoroughly so be prepared for that. if you have a removable cushion, let them know.)

i keep a folding cane in a small backpack on my chair handles for when i need to stand (if you can walk a little they will have you go through the detector separate from your w/c. if able, it's a lot easier and quicker)

don't be shy to ask for a chair to sit in while waiting for them to check over your w/c.
    from there your 'pusher' will take you to the gate, if you need to stop for restroom or grab drink etc, best to do it before getting to gate. they are usually very helpful and gracious about it. once they leave you at the gate you are on your own!
    at the gate be sure and get a blue boarding pass or whatever kind they use to make sure you're boarded first.

your w/c chair will be tagged like carry on luggage. if you have any removable parts to the chair, i always take them off. the airlines puts your chair in cargo once you're on the plane and are not responsible for missing parts.
    it's policy that one of their reps take you down the ramp to plane, at that time they'll hand you over to stewards and take your w/c below.
    my whole chair can be broken down, but i just take off the foot pedals, arm rests and cushion. per TSA airline is required to allow you an extra carry on bag for medical necessities. that's what i use the backpack for, put extra parts in (though i do sit on cushion on plane- just don't forget it!)
    a lot of this is online for TSA , if any questions, i'd call your airlines.

oh, and it's customary to tip 'pushers'. i've talked to many of them and they get min. wage, aren't allowed to sit AT ALL while on duty even if not pushing someone! sometimes they have to really hurry to get people to a connecting flight. they work really hard. especially if they're good to you- try to tip them.

i hope this wasn't too much info!
    bon voyage!

take care & God bless ya!
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Poohb3ar gave you some good tips here. One perk of having a w/c while going through the security lines is that the pusher will get you to the front of the line. Perk #2 is the w/c travels free of cost because it is a medical necessity.

I can walk a short distance, so they will give me the use of their cane to go through the detector. I have been given a random pat-down before, so be prepared for that just in case. You must not have anything in your pockets! - once I had a piece of gum in my pocket which the detector sensed, thus the pat down.

If you are purchasing your tickets online, be sure to click the appropriate box asking for w/c assistance for all flights and destinations. My experiences with w/c pushers have always been positive and I, too, always tip them. (Make sure you go to the bathroom in the terminal before you board the plane!)

I hope you have an enjoyable flight.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

thank you for the helpful info. When I get passed to the stewards I will then be rolled to my seat and they take my chair and put it away, then bring it back for me to get off? Is there always enough room to roll down the aisle? In my head I picture my manual w/c being too wide for an airplane aisle.

When I purchase tickets, are there certain seats or areas of the plane for handicapped? Or do you just buy any seat, and check a box that I'm impaired? I'm assuming I'm the first to board and last to exit the plane?

Comment

I saw the title of this thread, and thought of a wheelchair with wings and a propeller.

(sorry, I'll go sit in the corner now and let the serious people talk)
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

They have narrow wheelchairs that will get you to your seat and yes, you will be the first to board along with others who need extra help. I'm not certain about leaving the plane last, but if you don't have to hurry off to make another plane connection, it's logical you would be one of the last to leave. I like doing that anyway. Too many pushy people scrambling to get off the plane drives me crazy!

I've never been on a plane that has reserved seats for the handicapped, but there might be? I'd call the airline and ask them specific questions.

Happy flying and enjoy your trip!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

seasha is right, another advantage of being disabled is getting on plane first!! with SouthWest you don't have assigned seats, so i usually grab 2nd or 3rd row since i walk w/ my cane on. (just can't do airport / long distances).

i've always been asked to wait for last. couple of reasons, they have to retrieve your w/c from cargo and when they land then they call for a 'pusher'. it's safer waiting for the crowd to be out of the way anyway unless you do have a connecting.

unless the cost difference is huge, i always get direct or no change plane flights.
              definitely check that you have a mobility disability. i've always been asked if flying with own w/c or using airports. they have them available to use just inside the airport. i'm funny about my w/c, i don't like sitting in public or other peoples nor do i like someone else in mine!!!
              (i also sanitize it too, but hey, with MS you gotta take precautions!) no, i'm not OCD!

praying all goes well for your flight!
              take care & God bless ya!

Comment

I have flown with my small electric wheelchair several times. Some trips were better than others. It is really important to talk to every airline representative you deal with about what you need.

When you choose your seat, the bulkhead seats in the first row are best. They are not actually designated as handicapped, but preference is given to handicapped customers for those seats. If those seats are not available online, call the airline if possible. And talk to the gate agent. Sometimes they will move people to other seats.

I stay in my chair to go through security, since I can not walk. There is a separate line for wheelchairs, so you don't wait in the long lines. I get patted down in the chair and swabbed for explosives. My carry-ons have to go through x-Ray without me which is kind of anxiety provoking.

My experience boarding was the same as described by others. You need to tell the gate agent as soon as you get to the gate that you will gate check your chair and that you will need an aisle wheelchair. Sometimes they have to send for the aisle chair and it can take a while.

The skill and experience of the personnel who roll you onto the plane and down the aisle varies greatly. The guys in Minneapolis were very professional, almost like paramedics. In Atlanta at midnight it was a teenager with good intentions but no experience at all.

On Delta, on the larger planes, the arm on the aisle seat in coach will swing up out of the way to make it easier to transfer.

I hope this helps and that you have a great trip!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bo View Post
                  I saw the title of this thread, and thought of a wheelchair with wings and a propeller.

(sorry, I'll go sit in the corner now and let the serious people talk)

I'm far worse than you... I thought of Evel Knievel!
                  "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                    I'm far worse than you... I thought of Evel Knievel!
                    ya'll are too funny!

maybe we oughta organize some downhill wheelchair races?
                    or para-sailing w/c?
                    zip line w/c?

how about obstacle course w/c races???

hmm, we oughta ask hunterd, i bet he's already tried some of these things!!!
                    he's a kamakazie (sp?) in a w/c!!!

careful what you dream!

Comment

Working...
                    X