how do you deal with muscle spasms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you deal with muscle spasms?

My neurologist has me on 2 different muscle relaxants, Baclofen and Metaxalone. But there are times when neither seems to do any good. Sunday morning, I wound up in the ER, the leg spasms got so bad. And they just went on and on. Extra Strength Tylenol did no good either. Finally, about 7 hours, the ER doctor gave me some gooood medicine. He also started me on a round of steroids. And there has been no pain since. How do you deal with the muscle spasms? If this happens again, I want to have a plan that does not involve the ER!

Hi Patti
    I tried all the meds, for incredibly painful muscle spasms. Depression side effect, anxiety side effect, seizures side effect. Meditation, stretching, great, but seriously can't do that all day. I have to eat.....so just into exploringmedical cannibis. One of the things that my state approves a license for. Not sure which state, but might be worth checking into. The surgeon general is supportive of much more research. Great article in National Geographic magazine. I think it might help. Hope you find a way to get away from the pain.

Comment

Hi PattiHNC,

Some things that might help:

- Physical Therapy (PT)
      - Massage Therapy
      - Gentle stretching
      - Exercise
      - Heat (electric blanket or heating pad). However, if you are heat intolerant please try this very cautiously.

I am currently in PT for very tight muscles (and pain) in my left leg. Not only do I do PT exercises (stretching) but they are also doing massage therapy afterwards.

I have been encouraged to do massage therapy at home and shown how to use a tennis ball to do so as well as being told that a rolling pin works well also. I have used a rolling pin on my leg and specifically on my calf. The first roll hurt like heck, the second not so bad and the 3rd...relief.

Hope you find what works best for you
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Skelaxine during the day and flexerall at night.
        Botox injections from Neuro every 3 months.
        Acupuncture as needed.
        Heat
        A specially made compound of different meds to massage into my inflamed areas.
        Massage

The Botox works the best for me as I would not be able to live without it

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback - some very good suggestions there. I don't ever want to go through what I went through over the weekend again. I've had bad spasms before, but this was by far the worst. And to be in the ER waiting area for a couple of hours surrounded by people throwing up in barf bags sure didn't help matters!

Comment

i ended up getting a baclofen pump because i couldn`t deal with the sx anymore. i also take Lyrica too.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
            X