How to handle with employer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to handle with employer

I have not disclosed my condition with my employer nor do I intend to - however, I need advice. My symptoms are pretty well managed by my DMT and my self-care (eating well, exercising and ensuring adequate rest). I am able to do this all with my current job - which right now, involves no travel (my job never involved travel).

However, I am being told I will need to travel a lot in September (US travel - but some to the west coast). I am concerned about the toll this travel will take on my health and MS. I was thinking of asking my doctor for a note that I could provide my employer - stating that she is treating me for a health condition, and asking if I could work from home the day after I return from travelling (I have worked from home a day or two here and there in the past - for unrelated reasons).

This will allow me time to sleep later, take a nap at lunch time, and basically not deal with the stress of returning to the office and dealing with everything there.

What do you think? I am not asking to be removed from the travel schedule, but for a reasonable accommodation the day after. I am in NY...do I need to disclose my illness or is my dr. note enough? Am I being shortsighted about my health in not asking for more of an accommodation? Please help
    Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

I'm not sure how much autonomy your work related travel allows, but I tried to arrange for a Friday return flight for work related travel. If you schedule your client meetings and make your own travel arrangements via a corporate travel agency, there's a possibility it can work out.

Your travel to and from west coast to east coast, could easily be 8hrs including layovers for connecting flights, travel that usually follows meeting with clients earlier in the day, it is overwhelming even without MS fatigue. There's the 'catch-up work' the first day or 2 back in the office, and wrapping up details of your client meetings.

I'd try keeping the doctors note on hand, if you find yourself in a pinch and need to request accommodations for travel, with the understanding you work from home the day following travel.

Best of luck and hope the additional work related travel demands include a promotion and a pay raise.

Comment

You never need to disclose details of your health to an employer beyond what you are comfortable doing. HIPPA laws forbid an employer from requiring those details.

I'd ask you employer what kind of scheduling for your return is expected. Hopefully your return can be planned on a Friday, giving you a weekend to recover.
      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Working...
      X