SAS conquered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAS conquered

Happy day! I had a severe case of "shower avoidance syndrome". Got the point last week where it was day three before I'd force myself. I'd just about given up shaving my legs entirely.

Sitting on the wobbly stool, having to turn, twist and reach to get the taps and clinging to the grab bars to get out.

Bought an extremely stable, proper shower chair, with a back and sturdy arms. You can put all your weight on one of them and stand without fear.

No longer so exhausted after a shower.
    Yay! Something actually works.

Good for you, think! Isn't it a miracle what such a small change can make? Good luck

Comment

You can add Shaving Avoidance Syndrome to the formula and save even more energy. I gave up shaving 15 years ago when my knees started hurting. Unshaven legs are great. The legs get used to it. No more prickly stubble. Just soft.

Comment

Shower chairs are wonderful! I don't have any real disability yet, just occasional weakness, but I got a shower chair about three years ago because I cannot tolerate cooler showers and the heat of a shower would make me weak, light-headed and generally unstable. Rather than risk falls in the shower (and having my teenaged boys come rescue me while I'm naked and embarass us all), I just picked up a $25 shower chair from Walgreens.

Comment

Taking a shower is a small project for sure. I set the vent timer for 30 minutes. I then turn on the water, give it time to get to temp I like, Then step in to shower. I have a stool and a shower head I can remove.

Sit down, soap up, wash my hair and then rinse. Stand up and carefully step out. I use a four foot cane to balance and also have my walker near by. I do have balance issues-can't stand for long periods.

I use the toilet (cover down) to seat and dry my hair and dress.

Shaving my legs is a separate project. That too I sit on the toilet and can reach the sink. glad my hair doesn't grow like it did when I was younger.

Joys of MS
          toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
          Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

Working...
          X