short bus ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short bus ride

The elderly are able to take advantage of the van service that I use as well as the disabled. A few days ago a woman sat behind me. She observed, "you look healthy. I mean, you look really, really healthy." /eyes narrow I said, I have MS. She said her nephew had the disease and wasn't doing well with it. I said I was sorry. She said that she got rheumatic fever and was told that she would be dead by 30, but here she was at 91. The only complication was that she had a stint put in last year. She had lived in three countries, and been on television, and saved babies' lives in Haiti. And, "you should just pretend you're healthy and act like nothing's wrong."

My ex says this to me often too. Just pretend you never got diagnosed. I reflected on how that day would have gone if I didn't feel so rotten all of the time, plus stupid. I always wore long pants, even in the summer. Now, my ugly chicken legs are sticking out of shorts or a skirt. I would be in my own car, listening to NPR or flipping through my pre-programmed stations. I would stop for coffee, classroom supplies on the way home. This week, problem behaviors and parents dogpiling on. I would be planning fun trips with friends. I get frustrated so easily. And I feel like on top of it all, people think it's psychosomatic.

The Misery Doesn't Show

I think most of us have had similar experiences and it is a terrible thing to go through. Especially when, invisible or not, I feel so sick I know that anyone else would be home in bed. But with MS, I have to get up, act "normal" and go through the day. I can't remember the last time that I felt GOOD. But I don't expect people to understand anymore. Just those who suffer the same way and can get it out of their systems by sharing with others in the same boat.

I heard that in AA they have "sponsors", a person with the same problem to be the 'go to" person for a new AA person. They help support, answer questions and can offer the understanding missing from others without the same experience. I feel this forum is like my sponsor.

I know many people who compare their issues with MS. Those who know people with MS who are doing FINE. I try hard to ignore them but I am not successful all the time. I just keep my mouth shut and stew inside. I am not going to change them so I just try not to let them stress me enough to make me sicker.

Comment

I know what you're hearing is not meant to be insensitive but it feels like its cutting you. It isn't meant to be 'cutting', so try not to take these things to 'heart'. If this darn disease could be controlled, this wouldn't be a thought/thing. Try to let these kinds of comments slip off your back. I know its hard but you will get a little peace of mind. Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X