Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever have one of those days, weeks, months, or years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever have one of those days, weeks, months, or years?

With me it's been one of those months.

It started a month ago when my handicap van had a blow out. I found out that the van didn't have a spare tire. That lead to being towed and finding out that all 4 tires were bad. You see I bought the van the month before and the tires looked good, but apparently the inside of the tires where running on metal (not good). The tires where done and everything seemed to be back to normal....ha!

So then I had to go down to Boston for my annual MRI and have my follow up Neuro appointment, again, not good news. My MS is progressing, about a dozen new sessions in the brain and some larger spine sessions. All I knew was that some things seemed foggier than normal and I have had a lot of pain. Some meds were changed, and some were increased. I'm still adjusting to the med changes.... I now take 25 different meds each day, not all for the MS, BUT MOST ARE.

Last week the alternated belt on the handicap van broke and it had to be replaced, another unexpected expense. I still thought I could handle it, but I was wrong. I realized yesterday that I was broke with no money coming in until next Wednesday when my wife gets paid, really not good.

I contacted the National MS Society and asked for help. They sent me an application and were really good at getting back to me, but they can not do anything that fast. They are going to try to mail us some help, but not until tomorrow, so I should have it by Monday. That is great for next week, but I'm still stuck. The town, county, and state can not help, I've tried.

So it looks like grilled cheese for us tonight, but after that I just don't know.....any ideas? I checked with the church in town and they said that they can't help right now. They said maybe next Monday.
    I hate that if my wife didn't work, then we could get help for us and the kids, but because she works, we don't qualify. I hate that there are people that slip through the cracks.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by DonL3567 View Post

It started a month ago when my handicap van had a blow out. That lead to being towed and finding out that all 4 tires were bad. You see I bought the van the month before and the tires looked good, but apparently the inside of the tires where running on metal (not good).
    Hi DonL. Yes, it certainly sounds as if you have had a tough month . I bought a car like that once - thinking that I had many miles to ride before I needed to worry about replacing tires, but like you, found out that the inside of the tires were metal . And I had been considering letting my daughter drive it?

So then I had to go down to Boston for my annual MRI and have my follow up Neuro appointment, again, not good news. .... I now take 25 different meds each day, not all for the MS, BUT MOST ARE.
    Again, I can empathize. NOT suggesting that you do what I did, but one day I just looked at what I was taking and why I was taking each one. Turned out that over half of them were for side effects, or for side effects of another one that I was taking for side effects . I went cold turkey on everything and started adding them back as I deemed most necessary, and evaluated for problems with each before adding another one. Some of the 'necessary' ones had to be changed to something that I could tolerate better, and all of the ones for side effects were eliminated. It SIGNIFICANTLY cut down of the number meds that I was taking daily.

I realized yesterday that I was broke with no money coming in until next Wednesday when my wife gets paid, really not good.
    The town, county, and state can not help, I've tried.
    I HATE those blasted "5 week months"! My DH loves them because that means he has an extra paycheck that month, but for me it means that I have an extra week (w/o pay) that month. Even the "4 week months" have me stretching to make it, so I too am usually broke before the end of the month- seems like every other month.
    And the system does appear to be set up SO wrong. Like you, because of my husbands income we are not eligible for any type of assistance. Never mind the doctor bills, the medicine bills, the normal unexpected expenses in life, - just we have too much income.

So it looks like grilled cheese for us tonight, but after that I just don't know.....any ideas? I checked with the church in town and they said that they can't help right now. They said maybe next Monday.

I hate that if my wife didn't work, then we could get help for us and the kids, but because she works, we don't qualify. I hate that there are people that slip through the cracks.

Any ideas?
    Hey, I happen to like grilled cheese .
    If you lived near here there would be some help with food. My mom attends a small church that set up a food bank this past year. I donate to it, and go with her to deliver food once a month. Just from my involvement in it I happen to know that they do not ask about income. In fact the only questions that they ask are how many are in the household (to ensure that a proper amount of food goes to that household) and what gender they are (that is just for personal hygiene stuff) ..

I know you said that you had asked a church for assistance, but maybe a smaller church in your town?
    I realize that my suggestion isn't really worth much, but I wanted to let you know that there is at least one person that 'gets it'.

Hoping that something gives and that the rest of the year is better.

Comment

It started a month ago when my handicap van had a blow out. I found out that the van didn't have a spare tire. That lead to being towed and finding out that all 4 tires were bad. You see I bought the van the month before and the tires looked good, but apparently the inside of the tires where running on metal (not good). The tires where done and everything seemed to be back to normal....ha!

So then I had to go down to Boston for my annual MRI and have my follow up Neuro appointment, again, not good news. My MS is progressing, about a dozen new sessions in the brain and some larger spine sessions. All I knew was that some things seemed foggier than normal and I have had a lot of pain. Some meds were changed, and some were increased. I'm still adjusting to the med changes.... I now take 25 different meds each day, not all for the MS, BUT MOST ARE.

Last week the alternated belt on the handicap van broke and it had to be replaced, another unexpected expense. I still thought I could handle it, but I was wrong. I realized yesterday that I was broke with no money coming in until next Wednesday when my wife gets paid, really not good.

I contacted the National MS Society and asked for help. They sent me an application and were really good at getting back to me, but they can not do anything that fast. They are going to try to mail us some help, but not until tomorrow, so I should have it by Monday. That is great for next week, but I'm still stuck. The town, county, and state can not help, I've tried.

Any ideas?
      Hello, I just wanted to tell you I am so sorry for all that your going through. For me anymore, this silly disease is enough to deal with. I have been down before and I am pretty sure we all have for you all of this seems so great and awful (not that it isn't) and for someone else they may read it and say wow I guess I am not that bad off. I personally take every situation and find the good in it or that it could be worse. Such as, hey at least you have a van that you need to put tires on. I don't know if this thinking will be of any help to you as my husband can't or refuses to think this way. I am sorry for your unfortunate events and I hope you can find some help that your and your family deserve. I don't have any great advice unfortunately but I would think there has to be a church or a salvation army that you could get in touch with. Best of luck to you.....
      Tira

Comment

Food Assistance

It breaks my heart to think of anyone going hungry. It just shouldn't be that way in this country. I did some online sleuthing and found the following resources in Belknap County, New Hampshire:

1. Alton Community Services Food Pantry in Alton
        2. Center Harbor Christian Church Food Pantry in Moultonborough
        3. First Fruits Food Pantry in Sanbornton
        4. Gilmanton Community Church Food Pantry
        5. These are all in Laconia:
        A. Hands Across the Table Soup Kitchen
        B. Inreach Ministries Food Pantry
        C. Open Arms Outreach Food Pantry
        D. Salvation Army Food Pantry
        E. United Baptist Church Food Pantry
        6. Meredith Emergency Food Pantry in Meredith
        7. Northfield Tilton Food Pantry in Tilton

I hope one or more of these organizations can help.

Comment

I thought about something else. When my dh was out of work he asked the doctor to put him on a lower cost insulin (he is insulin dependent diabetic) as we couldn't afford the high price one he was on. The doctor was able to supply him with samples until we could get back on our feet.

Comment

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions.

As of right now I am drinking my last cup of coffee. I am run down, beat up, and don't have the energy left in me. Every place that I have gone to for help, has turned me down, or told me they don't work that fast. I don't have enough gas to go much further out of town for help, especially if the answer is no.

TheNational MS Society said that they would help, but they are mailing it today, so I should have it by Monday. That leaves me with 3 - 4 days of trying to figure this out. How to make six slices of bread and some romein noodles stretch.

Sorry to be a pain, but I am at a total loss on what to do?

All of the places mentioned I have tried, and or they are too far away with the amount of gas that I have left. Thank you anyway. Some day life will be better right?

I'm just done.

Don

Comment

Update

I finally got some help!

The church that said they couldn't help until Monday called and they said someone had just donated a $25 gas card and a $25 grocery card. They said they instantly thought of me. I am really overcome with emotions. Thank-you everyone, and thank you to the anonymous donor, you have no idea how much this has helped.

Don

Comment

So glad to hear. And how wonderful the church kept you in mind.

Can any of the programs you looked at help ongoing for a bit? Give you a chance to catch up and not get hit again with hunger worries?

Good luck with the van.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I finally got some help!

The church that said they couldn't help until Monday called and they said someone had just donated a $25 gas card and a $25 grocery card. They said they instantly thought of me. I am really overcome with emotions. Thank-you everyone, and thank you to the anonymous donor, you have no idea how much this has helped.

Don
                  I am sooooo excited and relieved for you. You and your family have been on my mind and in my prayers. My heart aches for you I am so happy things are looking up for you
                  Tira

Comment

I finally got some help!

Don
                    God bless you Don, and God bless the church and the donor.

I've been where you are Don, so I can relate. Sometimes a gift of even a few dollars can seem like a million!

My takeaway from Don's story is this; if there are any of us here who can afford to donate a $10, $25, or $50 gift or gas card, let's do it and do it regularly! I'm going to when I can.

Please remember what a Godsend a small gesture can be to someone else. I'm going to contact my NMMS chapter on Monday to see if they are the most appropriate place to accept these donations.
                    Seattle, WA
                    Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
                    Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

Next time you get a paycheck, I recommend stocking up on dried beans, rice and chicken broth, raisins and It's not luxurious but you can survive. I've had to stretch out a food budget many times in my life.

Another one is pasta, tomato sauce and cayenne pepper.

It's enough to deal with MS and handicapped vans. Going hungry should not be happening.

Comment

Working...
                      X