How do I fix being unhappy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I fix being unhappy?

I am essentially house bound. I have been doing my best to find things to help me fight boredom. I have been reading everything I can and I can't fight off the boredom that I feel. I guess that I will have to find some way to fight the boredom. It's really hard to do when your legs won't work reliably. Just a rant ! Needed to say something to break up the boredom !

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Only one, but the bulb has to really WANT to change.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
      I am essentially house bound. I have been doing my best to find things to help me fight boredom. I have been reading everything I can and I can't fight off the boredom that I feel. I guess that I will have to find some way to fight the boredom. It's really hard to do when your legs won't work reliably. Just a rant ! Needed to say something to break up the boredom !
      So sorry Jerry. Wish I had good enough words to send you...
      Seattle, WA
      Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
      Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

Boredom. You must find a hobby.

When I first got diagnosed...I was the only 30 something taking Quilting Lessons. I have now turned one of my bedrooms into a Quilting Studio. No walking required and all my equipment has been designed around me.

I am signed up for Colored Pencil Classes this Fall.

I read a good 100 books a year...none of it serious either. Sci-Fi or Fantasy. Nothing better than a good book.

Netflix...a great investment. If I get involved in a series...its a TV Marathon.

Every once in a while I dabble into cooking. You do not have to stand for cooking. I sit at my Dinette to cut up things and have a Bar Stool in the Kitchen to sit on for dishes and the actual cooking process.

I have a game night once a week. Lots of fun.

Exercise...I do 30 minutes a day. Even if I am in a flare. You don't need to necessarily walk. Exercise helps my mood...dramatically.

Get a pet to love and take care of.

Offer local in-home tutoring services for children having reading difficulties.

There are things you can do Jerry...just be creative.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

JerryD - big hug.
          Be nice to yourself, OK? This "new normal" is kinda sucky, but you'll make it. We've got your back.
          "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
          Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

JerryD,

I know what you are saying. Although I want to get out and do things and socialize, I get very overwhelmed and fatigued. I usually end up staying home because I'm so worried about being trapped in a situation where I am exhausted. So, yes, I do get bored.

Comment

I've befriended Netflix. Rather than just movies, I often choose series instead.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Jerry,

All your time has not been wasted. Since you've read so many books, how about writing one. The best writers read a lot. Brainstorm ideas for titles, then start writing stream of conscious. That will get your thoughts down. Later, you can structure it.

That's all I have to offer for now. You've written some classics on this site.

Comment

I completely understand that you are struggling with new limitations so the goal is to find a hobby that you can do.

One example: Consider taking up loom knitting and making hats for children with cancer. With a loom it's much easier than you think and does not require a lot of finger dexterity. You can knit whenever the inspiration hits you. More than anything it can be very rewarding and helpful to the kids.

If you learn to loom knit you can also make presents for family and friends. I can make a baby scarf and hat for newborn babies and they are a real fan favorite.

Comment

Would it be possible for you to get a scooter so you can get out and about?
                    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

start a blog!! I wouldn't know how to start but it will give you something to put time and energy towards.......best wishes!!
                      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Originally posted by KatW View Post
                        JerryD,

I know what you are saying. Although I want to get out and do things and socialize, I get very overwhelmed and fatigue rather easily (just taking a shower and getting dressed and I'm pooped...that's why I always get dressed hours before we're to leave, so I can recoup some energy before we leave..) I usually end up staying home because I'm so worried about being trapped in a situation where I am exhausted. So, yes, I do get bored.
                        I understand where you and Jerry are coming from. I don't want to be a "downer" and have to exit the social activity early and everybody ask and wonder what's up. Worse than that, if, or when, I'm feeling bad, I feel forced to pretend I'm having a good time, while inside, I'm so overwhelmed by my surroundings, all I want to do is "exit stage right" (anybody else old enough to remember Deputy Dawg Hubby and I set a "keyword" so he knows if I've had all I can take, and sometimes he uses the word because even though I think I'm doing okay, he senses things are starting to slip...like my speech, or balance...we've played this game long enough that we both know to I should not overdo, it only brings regret the next day.

Of course then there are the times when I go, things go right, and I'm amazed. Happened just last weekend, I told my husband I felt like I really needed to get out of the house, and we decided to hit an eatery downtown....most dining is outside, but they have a bar/counter inside. It's hot, hot, hot, now (in the 90's) but we figured a way to let me off, and I go straight for the AC'd room, and he would order food (it was a walk up window.) So despite the heat, I did well. I almost didn't go because I didn't think I would do well, but then I did. The point being, sometimes I stay home from fear of a what/if, but if I make a plan for the what/if, and go anyway, at times I'm pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

I've said it before, but I do much better having folks come to our house. And I've learned that people don't care what I serve (it can be pizza, or take out subs or Thai)...they don't come for the food but for the "fellowship." That's how we handle most invitations of folks asking us if we want to go out, we'll just turn the tables and say, "Why don't you come over for dinner?" My husband cooks, or we get take out, just depends. If I get fatigued, I can excuse myself and go rest for awhile, but usually I can make it through the couple hours that folks are there.

Jerry, sorry you're bored. I still work, but I work from home. That definitely helps with the
                        boredom factor. Jerry, you're posts are interesting, and you ask some of the "hard questions"...have you ever thought of starting a blog. IMO, there are too few blogs on MS.
                        I really enjoy the ones that are out there. Minimum computer skills needed the blog sites really help.

Comment

Thanks, all of you. You have all given me ideas that I can ponder. It's nice to know that you have my 'back'.

Comment

Jerry, I'm having a hard time finding happy myself. Stressful events back in early March brought on a relapse and there's been little progress in my physical condition. I haven't been able to drive nor even shop in a store. I'm having a hard time accepting this new normal.

Keep your spirits up...I'm trying as well. You are not alone.

Comment

Jerry, are you depressed?

A pet helps me but, I could never handle a new puppy again. fed

Comment

Working...
                              X