another question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another question

I know I'm gonna drive everyone crazy with these questions.

Can an attack be caused by the immune system trying to fight off a illness you've come in contact with? Like you fought off the flu but MS attacking you was the result.

Your guess is as good as mine. I only know that my immune system is 'overactive' with respect to the myelin of my nerves have been attacked by my system.

Comment

The Myelin Sheath is the protective coating surrounding our nerves. Our immune system detects Myelin as foreign and attacks. Our immune system is "confused" (compromised).

If you end up with a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis it is important to understand there is still much unknown about this disease. MS as an autoimmune disease is still a theory, however, it is the longest standing theory about this disease.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

So science only thinks it's auto immune and doesn't know for sure?

Comment

Probably not, but it can be set off by the illness itself and that is called a pseudo-exacerbation meaning not real, but it feels real. It feels just like a regular exacerbation but does no damage to the central nervous system. Other things that can do that are:

Fevers
          Hot Days
          Hot Baths
          Viruses
          Infections anywhere in the body

Its good you are asking questions, ask away!

Take care
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Exacerbations or Flares that is (the "it" in the post above.)

Lisa
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by shel67 View Post
              So science only thinks it's auto immune and doesn't know for sure?
              Not exactly. There's about 60 years of proof that shows that auto-immunity is a large component of MS. The proof of that part is easily repeatable in a laboratory and there's no doubt about it.

What isn't known yet are all of the other components that go into the process of auto-immunity and what other chemical and genetic processes are involved and how all the parts interact to produce the condition that's been classified as MS.

The treatments for MS are based on intervening in the parts of the process that are known.

Comment

Working...
              X