Brain blood vessels found that may help MS (and many other) patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain blood vessels found that may help MS (and many other) patients

Researchers have found blood vessels that connect the brain directly to the immune system. Now, they are looking at these blood vessels as possible keys in a variety of neurological diseases to include MS.

The more science learns the more science is proven previously wrong.
    • Most of us know scientists once thought the earth was flat.
    • Most of us know scientists once thought MS was painless.

Now, science textbooks may have to be rewritten.

Researchers at the University of Virginia School of Medicine have determined that blood vessels directly connect the brain to the immune system. It's amazing that these blood vessels have never been detected before, but more importantly may be the purpose of the blood vessels. The blood vessels may prove to be a critical pathway for multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's, autism and other diseases.

"Instead of asking, 'How do we study the immune response of the brain?' 'Why do multiple sclerosis patients have the immune attacks?' now we can approach this mechanistically. Because the brain is like every other tissue connected to the peripheral immune system through meningeal lymphatic vessels," said Jonathan Kipnis, PhD, professor in the UVA Department of Neuroscience and director of UVA's Center for Brain Immunology and Glia (BIG). "It changes entirely the way we perceive the neuro-immune interaction. We always perceived it before as something esoteric that can't be studied. But now we can ask mechanistic questions."

"We believe that for every neurological disease that has an immune component to it, these vessels may play a major role," Kipnis said. "Hard to imagine that these vessels would not be involved in a [neurological] disease with an immune component."

http://www.businessinsider.com/brain...-vessel-2015-6

Mouse brains

The newly discovered vessels aren't blood vessels. They're lymphatic vessels. The lymphatic system works differently than the blood system, which is a critical difference that explains the challenge in finding out how to use it in treating neurological diseases. (So it might be a good idea to correct the title of this thread.)

There's the usual caveat: "Experts greeted the resulting study, published Monday in the journal Nature, with a mixture of excitement and caution. The main hurdles: Other researchers must replicate the work and confirm the vessel exists in humans, since the study primarily examined mouse brains."

More mouse brains.

Comment

I don't have a lot of confidence that this research can help me. I am not a mouse. But I like cheese! I guess that is 'promising'.!

Comment

Lol third time in a row this study is posted and on the same day no less. The words "Stunning" and "Amazing" tells us this article is desparate for clicks.

Comment

Wondering

I had a lymph gland infection in my neck when I was a toddler and had to stay out of the pool all one summer. I wonder if there's a connection, I always had extreme heat intolerance after that. Hmm.
          ---------------
          "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Comment

Working...
          X