Knee pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee pain

I've been having knee pain off and on for the past year. I went to 2 orthos and they could only suggest PT. I'm reading now that weakness in the legs and hip can cause the kneecap to move and cause pain and swelling. Does this sound right? If so, any suggestions?

Has Arthritis been ruled out? Are you a former runner?

Also many MSers have a good side and a bad side. If this is the case for you, which side is your bad knee?
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I just went to my Dr today for knee issues. My right knee is causing me issues, including pain. In 2009 I had surgery for a torn meniscus. The surgery went well, and all was good until recently.

The knee does a weird hyperextending "thing". It can be caused by several different things, including MS. So now we have to start ruling stuff out and see what can be the cause.

I am scheduled to have an MRI of the knee next week. Dr also mentioned PT to try to get things strengthened and straightened out.

I don't know if anyone mentioned doing an X-ray or MRI of your knee. You might want to ask about this. Pain is real, it comes from a real source and needs to be dealt with.

Good luck - I sure hope they can find out what is causing the pain.

Comment

Hi KatW,

KatieAgain
        Has Arthritis been ruled out?
        I have the same question When you saw the Orthopedist did they do an x-ray of your knee?

I have knee pain. I have a frayed meniscus and no cartilage left in my left knee (I am bone on bone). This is due to Arthritis which I have had in that knee since my 20s. Due to this MS I hyperextend which is very hard on your knees. I have had both a MRI and x-ray on that knee.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hello KatW,

My left leg is affected worse by ms. Foot drop, weakness, limp and hyperextending. Now my knee is very painful and stays swollen. I saw an ortho and had x-rays and was told I had very little arthritis and the pain was mostly from the hyperextending irritating it.

He gave me a knee brace but sometimes it still hyperextends and it is still very painful and stays swollen. I thinking I will just have to live with it.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I did have a CT and x-rays that showed an articular cartilage tear and chondromalacia. One dr offered an injection for arthritis if it continues. If I wrap it, I do not have problems. Interesting, Reg53, that you are having similar problems. I may get a third opinion and live with the wrap. Also, my left side has gotten weaker over the last year and that is where I have the knee pain.

I was very athletic when I was younger. I had a bout of energy last summer and tried to work out more. That is when the knee pain started and got worse after.

Hope everyone is having a good summer. Hot here in TX already.

Comment

Working...
            X