Is there a way to tell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to tell?

Is there any way to tell if your symptoms are improving or not? In the past my symptoms would just go away. Just like they came, they went. But now I can't tell the difference between it getting better or worse.

For me, a full neuro exam has revealed things I didn’t realize were still lingering. On the flip side, I would expect it to show if things have improved based on your Dr.’s notes from your previous exam. It’s tricky because things like numbness are so subjective and can even vary within one day.

My first real symptom was numbness from the hips down. I thought it had gotten a lot better until my Dr. was poking me with a pin and I could feel how much worse the numbness was near my feet. It took about a year before the numbness went away, but I wouldn’t really have been able to tell you during that time that I was getting better. I’m guessing if I had more frequent full exams, I would have known, but in the end it wouldn’t have mattered because unless it’s an acute relapse or a bothersome symptom that should be treated, there’s nothing to be done but take things as they are.
    dx: RRMS 8/2010; rx: Tecfidera 2/2016; Copaxone 8/2010

Comment

So when it went away did you just realized one day it wasn't there anymore? Or did it gradually get better?

Comment

It was gradual. I didn't really notice I was getting better until almost all the feeling was back to normal. I was on vacation and doing a ton of walking and it suddenly just occurred to me that my feet felt almost normal. It still was a little bit after that until I had totally normal feeling. Before that, I had accepted the idea that I would always have the numbness, so I was surprised when it went away.

I still get some tingling in various parts of my legs when I get warm during hot days or while exercising, or if I'm really sleep deprived, but it always goes away.
        dx: RRMS 8/2010; rx: Tecfidera 2/2016; Copaxone 8/2010

Comment

Thanks.

It's just so hard to tell if it's better or worse with the fluctuating. I know something feels different but I can't tell if it's better or worse. I can't even tell it's worse until one day I realize I'm worse. Like in the past I just realized I was better. So frustrating.

Comment

Working...
          X