Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycling with foot drop

Hi,
    im new here & looking for some suggestion or advise. I was active (running & cycling) until about 5 years ago when occasional foot drop forced me to stop these activities.
    Last week my husband purchased a tantem rode bike so I can get back to an activity I always loved. My problem however is still foot drop. I can ride about 5 miles & then my foot falls forward & I'm unable to lift my toes. I'm clipped in so falling off the pedal is not an issue, but the toe of my shoe occasionally scrapes the ground. Of course I'm afraid at some point that could cause us to crash. Has anyone had this problem or a suggestion for keeping my ankle/foot in the correct position?
    i have an AFO but that is too rigid for cycling. I also have a walk aide but haven't seen where it can be used for cycling. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Can your husband make the pedal more rigid so your foot can't tip forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Poolwatcher View Post
      Can your husband make the pedal more rigid so your foot can't tip forward?
      i asked him to fix the pedal in a flat position but he said that would cause knee problems. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this & had a "trick". I've thought about tying the toe end of the clip with a string to the handle bar that will only allow a slight forward motion (to avoid it falling complexly forward)

Comment

That might work. You might have to experiment with solutions to find the best one for you. If you have a bike shop, maybe the guy who fixes bikes can think up a solution.

Comment

May be ask your physical therapist for a exercise to build up strength in that ankle.
          Tim
          It's work for me, but as you know we are all different!
          Good luck

Comment

I pedal on the back of a tandem with footdrop in feet. Depending on your shoes, bike shoes should be very hard and non pliable, this should keep your foot in the correct position. If you don't have these kind of shoes, invest in some. I don't have any problem with my foot dragging. If yours is really bad, consider wearing your AFOs on the bike.

As far as her not being able to just sit back there and have her husband pedal, she knows that this is not the way a tandem works. A tandem pedals in unison. They are great for MSers, because you are not burdened with the balance issue of a bike; the seeing issues that comes with riding, and you don't really have to be in charge of where you are going. All you have to do is show up and pedal.

Good luck and have fun out there!
            Lisa
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X