No sense of smell and long term memory loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sense of smell and long term memory loss

After a discussion with my new neuro, I was curious if other people experience problems with long term memory? And if so, how is your sense of smell? Did your memory seem to worsen after you lost your smell? Also, do you have depression and did it predate your memory issues?

I told him that I worry since my long term memories are very vague and not many. I had a happy childhood, etc...Depression hit me at 35 for a few years and again, 3 years ago. Yet I still can't recall even my happiest memories, like graduations, getting drivers lisc, major milestone birthdays, etc...

If I am focused, my short term memory is fine. It is after a few days, memories start to disappear.

The neuro was explaining that to commit to long term memory, it has to be emotionally worth it. He asked when I look ai pictures, if the memory comes back. It doesn't for me. I compensated at work by extra hours, until I could no longer do that. I would just nod when someone would say "remember when...".

He seemed to imply my happiness, or lack of, could be the culprit. He doesn't know me yet, but that makes no sense to me, but I am willing to explore it.

He did note my lack of smell. We didn't get a chance to discuss in relationship to memory, but I know smell helps invoke memories.

So for those with long term memory issues, do you relate it to smell and/or depression? Do you do anything to try to help commit to long term memory and then engage it?

Thanks,
    Kathy
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Interesting question Kathy.

Not sure - will have to do some hard thinking to give you a complete answer, but a 'short and sweet' is that I also suffer from loss of smell (since I don't remember when ..) and from long term memory loss. ST memory loss is quickly catching up with the rest .

My childhood was not so happy - parents divorced when I was somewhere between 9-11 (really don't remember). I have memories from young years, which my mom says isn't possible. Like I remember us moving after my first Easter. I would have been less than a year old (8-10 months?). But I DO remember them loading my Easter basket WAY UP on the truck and it driving off ...
    However I cannot remember my father. They tell me that I was very close to him until he left, but I don't remember any of that. Or actually remember him at all . There are things that I remember from those years - just nothing involving my father.

But other things that I should remember happened in my young adult years. Happier? times. Like you, "major" events just are not there. First job? I know what it was, and where it was at, but actually remember doing it is not there. And jobs after that get really murky. HEY - I just had a memory - my first supervisors name was Belle. But I don't remember the name of my last supervisor.

A real general type of example here. On my last job I was trained and 'qualified' as a 'first responder". This entailed annual First aid/CPR training as well as SCBA training. EVERY YEAR I did this. No particular smells associated with it, just simple routine stuff.

Then the cognitive crap really hit. I started failing the training. As well as other 'nothing' training that we took every year also. I just couldn't remember it!
    When I was moved to a new area I was lost. There was no way that I could learn the new stuff. I couldn't even remember the old stuff...

Depression involved? Well I understand (kinda) why I don't remember my father. I suppose that I was suffering some type of mental crap with that, even tho I remember other stuff from those years.
    And the other stuff came after MS. No serious depression, but yeah I have been dx'ed with it and occasionally take anti-depression meds.

I go next week for formal results of a recent neuro psyc exam, but have already been told that I tested in the 'normal' range. That really is not any consolation when I am POSITIVE that I know something but CAN NOT remember it. It is SO FRUSTRATING when all I can remember is that I used to know it...

All that I can offer in ways to remember things is to get a routine and stick to it. That helps me some in not forgetting where my keys are, and in making sure that the oven/stove is off when I leave the kitchen. I have certain routines when feeding up, and certain days for various tasks so that I wont forget to do them (water houseplants on Tues of every week etc.). I don't have any other tips to help remember things, but will be looking to see what others suggest.

Comment

msgijo,

Thanks. I also wait more responses. Like you, I have normal, actually good neuropsych testing. So I know your frustration, as I know something is not right. I would redo things at work, only to find that I did it before. Even after finding perious work, no recall of doing it before.

My neuro said one of the best things to do to help improve memory is to learn to play a musical instrument, as it invokes more senses than other activities and also increases happiness. I may give it a try, hoping that I don't get too frustrated since my hands are numb and my lack of memory.

He also said to look at pictures after events to help recall memories sooner and commit to long term memories.

I just don't buy the depression angle, as I was a pretty happy and easy going person. And even when depressed later in life, it was classified as mild.

He did say traumatic events can cause a block, but nothing major for me, nor physical injury. I double checked with family members!!

Thanks again. As much as I hate that anyone has the same problem, there is some comfort in being able to share.
      Kathy

Comment

Hi pennstater,

Some medications can cause memory loss

If you had a fairly normal childhood and no trauma then please don't let a Dr. make you concerned about something that doesn't fit
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks Snoopy. I am not letting that get to me, since I know it doesn't fit. I am going to try to help my memory, but would love to know why I have the problem. Of course I realize I may never know, but will probably push it further with him in future appointments.

Just frustrating as I know things do get past short term memory and not an attention thing, I just lose it after a few weeks or months. And if MRI is not full of holes, what then? I think the effort it took to compensate for it is what finally wore me out and forced me to leave the workforce. Oh well, can't change that.

I always wanted to play guitar, maybe I will try that!
          Kathy

Comment

Forgot, I do know some Rx can cause memory loss but not anything I take. When it really became a problem, I only took a multivitamin, nothing else.
            Kathy

Comment

The only thing I can address here is the fact that I cannot smell some things. Like some flowers that everyone else says smell wonderful. No smell.
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Thanks Marti.

I had a sense of smell when younger. I have a lilac bush that was cut from my grandparents. I remember how awesome it smelled. Everyone always comments on it. I really miss that. Then again, My husband was out fertilizing today, so I guess not being able to smell has a plus side too!
                Kathy

Comment

Working...
                X