sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sleeping

I have muscle spasticity in the form of extreme tightness - to the point where my knee caps and hips are regularly pulled out of alignment. It's becoming incredibly difficult to sleep. I have to jamb a pillow under my knees and now my hip, forcing them to bend. It's more a pain issue than anything else. I'm stiff but can get moving once I stretch in the morning. I'm already sleeping with an ice pack and a high dose of baclofen. Anyone using anything else?

I am sorry you are having trouble.......as we all know it is so important for us to sleep to recharge!! I can't help because I use baclofen but I know there are other meds and I am sure someone will reply. I hope you find something that gives you relief!!
    dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Hi heliotrope,

I'm sorry. Have you considered a baclofen pump? http://www.medtronic.com/patients/se...icity/therapy/

In the meantime, it might be of some benefit to add another medication(s) to the baclofen, like tizanidine and/ or Valium. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Have you considered seeing a chiropractor? I have trouble with my hip. Other than seeing my chiro, I take baclofen and some valium at night. Sometimes I take some good valerian root,night or day, to help me. And magnesium. I don't like taking a lot of prescription drugs.

And a massage therapist told me muscles love wet heat. My neck muscles are like tree trunks. Sometimes spasms are really tough. I get a hand towel wet with cool water, then microwave it for 1 minute or so, just so it doesn't burn me, and wrap it around my neck. Or my calves. I've done my feet before. I do this every night. Sometimes, I have to during the day. Also, part of my morning shower involves running hot water on my neck for a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
          I have muscle spasticity in the form of extreme tightness - to the point where my knee caps and hips are regularly pulled out of alignment. It's becoming incredibly difficult to sleep. I have to jamb a pillow under my knees and now my hip, forcing them to bend. It's more a pain issue than anything else. I'm stiff but can get moving once I stretch in the morning. I'm already sleeping with an ice pack and a high dose of baclofen. Anyone using anything else?
          Have you had an evaluation by a physical therapist or a Physiatrist?

You mentioned trouble with your knees and hips. Spasticity can cause contractures at the joints, something you don't want to happen. Once you relieve the spasticity with an oral med or a baclofen pump, it is very difficult to reverse a contracture.

Talk to your neuro about having someone evaluate your spasticity, especially if it's causing
          you pain on a regular basis.

Hope you find relief from your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
            Have you had an evaluation by a physical therapist ...?

I'd echo the physical therapist. They can do amazing things, and it wouldn't surprise me if they'd have some exercises that could help with problem prevention here.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Would definitely echo being checked by a doctor, to avoid contractures, the pain fortunately can usually be relieved.

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                Unfortunately, I'm naturally quite loose jointed, so most of my physicians continue to believe that I do not have significant muscle issues. Funny how extreme spasticity can make you look "normal."

I'm in regular PT, which has been a huge help. Unfortunately, they're doing their best to counteract the damage but haven't had long term success in slowing down the process.

Comment

When my legs spasm I take my muscle relaxants and I use Bee Balm (Oswego tea). Also take Quinine. It is in Schweppes Tonic Water. I cant stand the taste so I take a supplement called Leg Cramps; found at health food stores. Taken regularly they help me quite a bit. The trouble, as with all things they don't help when you first start them, it takes time for it to build up in your system. I have also tied a bandana around my leg when spasms were driving me nuts. Mint lotion rubbed in good and then wrap it tightly - not to cut off circulation. I also find that if I do not take the muscle relaxant unless I absolutely need to...they work a heck of a lot better. My body isn't immune to their benefit.

Comment

I discovered the magic of magnesium too! I mentioned I was taking it to my neurologist and nurses. They say it works wonders for spasticity, sleep and anxiety. My neurologist even suggests it to his patients with migraines, recommending 400 mg twice a day and told me to use the same dose. My 15 year old niece has Tourettes Syndrome and she takes magnesium to help ease her tics. I wish I would have discovered this sooner. I was on baclofen a few times and the side effects can sometimes increase spasms in some patients. Not to mention the other host of side effects from baclofen. Magnesium has a few side effects. I only notice it keeps my bowels regular.

Comment

Magnesium also helps with frequent urination problems. Especially helps me at night. It's good to use a Cal-Mag combination, because the effects of one counterbalance the other.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                      X